Man held in Sri Lanka with cocaine in bellyMay 2nd, 2012 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 2 (IANS) A Philippine national who had cocaine stashed in his stomach has been arrested, police said Wednesday.
Police spokesman Ajith Rohana said the police narcotics bureau arrested the Filipino after he arrived in Sri Lanka from Qatar and found 30 cocaine capsules in his stomach.
Based on information received by the police that the foreigner was suspected to be transporting some banned items, officers at the country’s international airport took the man in for questioning.
When he was grilled by the police it was found that he had swallowed cocaine hidden in capsules before embarking on a flight to Colombo, reported Xinhua.
The suspect was taken to hospital and the 30 cocaine capsules were removed from his stomach, the police spokesman said.
According to the police, Sri Lanka has been used as a transit point for smuggling cocaine from Brazil, Peru, Thailand and Nigeria.
- Sri Lankan politician arrested for human smuggling - Jul 25, 2012
- Sri Lanka detains 113 on way to Australia - May 28, 2012
- Tamil Tiger held at Sri Lankan airport - Jul 18, 2012
- Over 400 suffer food poisoning in Sri Lanka - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka records rise in rapes of children - Jul 05, 2012
- Asian passenger held for drug trafficking in Dubai - May 05, 2011
- Buddhist clergy step out to support Sri Lanka at UNHRC - Mar 19, 2012
- Dubai police foils cocaine smuggling in Zambia - Jun 05, 2012
- Sri Lanka fishermen clash with cops over fuel price hike - Feb 15, 2012
- Smuggling bid foiled in Dubai - Dec 23, 2009
- 1,000 held in Shanghai for using narcotics - Jun 03, 2012
- Pakistani executed in Saudi Arabia - Sep 05, 2012
- Bid to smuggle 17 kg crystal meth foiled in Dubai - Dec 21, 2011
- Man held for smuggling cocaine into Mexico in his shoes - Jan 21, 2011
- Spain busts gang that hid drugs in babies' diapers - Nov 29, 2011