Man held for smuggling cocaine into Mexico in his shoesJanuary 21st, 2011 - 11:34 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Jan 21 (IANS/EFE) A man who tried to smuggle nearly a kg of cocaine from Peru into Mexico in his athletic shoes was arrested at the Mexico City airport, the Attorney General’s Office said.Luis Ojeda Felix, whose nationality was not released, arrived in the Mexican capital aboard a commercial flight from Lima.
“At the time of his arrest, two packages containing 982.7 grams of cocaine hidden in the soles of his athletic shoes were seized,” the AG’s office said.
The reason why the traveller came to the attention of police was not revealed by prosecutors.
A kg of cocaine sells for about $2,000 at wholesale in producer countries and goes for about $12,500 once it reaches Mexico, officials said.
- Pilot arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine - Aug 24, 2011
- Three brothers face hangman's noose in Malaysia - Jun 03, 2011
- Six gunned down in Mexican bar - Aug 09, 2012
- Man rapes daughter, sells her for $365 - Dec 12, 2011
- 'King of Heroin' arrested in Mexico (Lead) - Mar 26, 2010
- Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into Nicaragua - Aug 28, 2012
- Mexico, China seal extradition treaty - Jun 12, 2012
- 14 bodies found in van in Mexico - Aug 10, 2012
- Cocaine shipment for football fans seized in Peru - Jun 10, 2010
- 14 dismembered bodies found in Mexico - Jun 09, 2012
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- Cocaine stash found in steamroller - Feb 20, 2011
- US busts drug ring - Nov 01, 2011
- Mexican navy seizes 2.4 tonnnes of cocaine - May 04, 2010
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: athletic shoes, attorney general, cocaine, commercial flight, efe, felix, jan 21, kg, luis ojeda, mexico city airport, mexico officials, nationality, peru, producer countries, prosecutors, soles, traveller, wholesale