Man held for damaging over 100 carsOctober 24th, 2011 - 9:13 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, Oct 24 (IANS) A 27-year-old man has been arrested in the German capital for damaging over 100 luxury cars. He allegedly set 67 cars ablaze, and partially damaged 35 others, officials said.
Most of the cars were of brands like BMW and Mercedes-Benz, Xinhua reported.
Christian Steiof, chief of Berlin’s State Office of Criminal Investigations, said Sunday that the arrest itself would not put an end to the problem of arson attacks.
The man damaged the vehicles from June to August this year, particularly in Berlin’s three districts — Mitte, Spandau and Charlottenburg.
Sources said the suspect told investigators that he set the fires due to vexation over being out of job at the time. Since late August, as he had been offered a job as an assistant, he has stopped short of criminal conduct, he said.
At least 625 vehicles were damaged in arson attacks in Berlin this year, according to Berlin police.
- Mercedes-Benz sales soar - Apr 05, 2012
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Daimler AG gets RBI nod for non-banking finance company - Apr 25, 2011
- Envoy defends German cars against Jairam Ramesh's attack - Nov 13, 2010
- Mercedes-Benz launches new M-Class in India - May 15, 2012
- Volvo cars sales shrink in China - Aug 16, 2012
- Mercedes Benz registers 40 percent sales growth - Sep 02, 2011
- Mercedes and Jaypee Sports launch performance driving academy - Jan 04, 2012
- Mercedes launches four-door coupe - Sep 08, 2011
- Eight cars go up in flames in Moscow - Jun 02, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz launches pre-owned car business in India - Jun 28, 2010
- Mercedes launches the new M-Class - Jan 05, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz India to hike car prices from May 1 - Apr 26, 2011
- 'Lexus car is most likely to be attacked by vandal' - Apr 23, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz sells 90 C-class cars' to Carzonrent - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: arson attacks, berlin police, bmw, cars berlin, charlottenburg, criminal investigations, fires, german capital, investigators, job, late august, luxury cars, mercedes benz, old man, spandau, xinhua