Man gouges out his eyes in Italy churchOctober 3rd, 2011 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Viareggio (Italy), Oct 3 (IANS/AKI) A mentally ill man gouged out both his eyes during a church service at the Tuscan seaside town of Viareggio claiming “a voice” in his head had told him to commit the gruesome act.
The 46-year-old man, who had attended mass with his mother on Sunday, was rushed to hospital where surgeons attempted to reattach both of his eyeballs.
Police had recovered the man’s eyeballs from the Sant’Andrea church aisle as horrified worshippers looked on.
The man, who remained conscious throughout, is almost certain to remain blind, according to ophthalmologists.
“It was shocking and happened totally unexpectedly. Just as I was starting my sermon, the man stood up and gouged out both his eyes,” said parish priest Antonio Tanganelli.
- Italian singer dies while on tour - Mar 02, 2012
- Concordia captain must stay under house arrest: Court - Apr 12, 2012
- Man threatened to kill priest over church bells - Sep 22, 2010
- Italian priest killed by mafia may be declared saint - Jun 30, 2012
- 20 churches face demolition in Indonesia - Jun 13, 2012
- Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accident - Jan 17, 2012
- Italian sets himself ablaze after job loss - Aug 20, 2012
- Ferrari, Lavazza designer dies at 85 - Jul 03, 2012
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- Serbia war crimes suspect Mladic may have been held - May 26, 2011
- 95-year-old Italian film director leaps to his death - Dec 01, 2010
- Woman gets world's first double-hand transplant - Oct 14, 2010
- Pakistan Taliban claim responsibility for mosque attack - Nov 06, 2010
- Pope deplores Baghdad church bloodbath - Nov 02, 2010
- Woman dies after leaping from Leaning Tower of Pisa - May 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,