Man gets 44 months in jail for killing police dogFebruary 20th, 2009 - 6:01 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Feb 20 (DPA) A man who sent a police dog to its death as it was trying to prevent him from committing suicide has been sentenced to 44 months in jail, the San Diego Tribune has reported.
Cory Byron, 27, was attempting to jump off the Coronado Bridge in San Diego Dec 31, 2007, after driving drunkenly through traffic. A police office trying to apprehend him saw Byron’s suicide bid and released police dog Stryker to intercept.
As Byron got ready to jump off the bridge, Stryker locked his teeth onto his arm and both plunged some 70 meters into the waters below.
Byron survived the fall and was rescued, but the dog died.
He pleaded guilty last September to one count each of felony evading and driving under the influence. He also entered a no-contest plea to a misdemeanour charge of harming a service animal. He told the court that he did not realise the dog had fallen with him.
California highway patrol officers say Byron’s blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit. He has been in jail since the incident and could be released later this year.
- San Francisco Bay Bridge Shut For An Hour After Man Threatens To Blow It Up - Nov 12, 2010
- US 'drunk driver' swims off to escape arrest - Jan 11, 2012
- "American Pie" Star Chris Klein Arrested For Driving Under Influence - Jun 17, 2010
- Attacked by dog, man jumps off 60 feet bridge - Aug 12, 2012
- Thomas Kelley escapes from San Diego prison by stealing a fire engine - Jan 03, 2012
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s wife pleads guilty to impaired driving - Jul 23, 2010
- Two plead guilty to attack on Sikh taxi driver in US - Mar 09, 2011
- US man calls police to report drunk driver - himself - Dec 28, 2010
- Infamous car thief again escapes arrest - Oct 17, 2011
- US Navy warship captain fired after collision - Jun 20, 2012
- Prison warden slain in Guatemala - Jul 20, 2012
- Paris Hilton's beau faces criminal charges in Las Vegas - Jan 21, 2011
- British man jailed for biting wife's nose - Mar 25, 2012
- Man saved from jumping from Shanghai bridge - May 14, 2012
- Jose Adrian Cano Arrested Over Mocospace Scandal - Oct 03, 2010
Tags: blood alcohol level, california highway patrol, committing suicide, contest plea, coronado bridge, driving under the influence, felony, last september, police dog, police office, san diego tribune, service animal, suicide bid, teeth, traffic