Man fires at police investigating Indian temple attack in AustriaJune 16th, 2009 - 1:30 am ICT by IANS
Vienna, June 15 (DPA) Vienna police investigating the recent attack on a Sikh temple here came under fire Monday, according to media reports.
No one was hurt when the man, an Austrian citizen of Indian descent, fired two shots from a handgun at officers conducting a search of his house.
Anti-terrorism police units quickly managed to subdue the 26-year-old Austrian citizen who is of Indian descent and whose name was given only as Amrit S.
On May 24, a religious leader was killed and a second seriously injured at the Vienna temple of the Sikh sect Dera Sach Khand.
Additional firearms and knives were found in his home, the Austrian press agency quoted a Vienna police spokesman as saying.
Police said Amrit S. had contact with the six Indian-born suspects who have been detained so far for allegedly participating in the temple attack.
Investigators have not confirmed media reports that the incident was likely motivated by a feud between the sect and orthodox Sikhs.
Riots erupted in northern India following the news that religious leader Sant Rama Nand had been killed at the Vienna temple, and that the sect’s chief Niranjan Dass had been injured, along with 16 others.
The violent unrest in Punjab and neighbouring Haryana state claimed three lives and left dozens injured.
- 1,000 commemorate Indian sect leader slain in Vienna (Lead, correcting names in Para 1,2) - May 30, 2010
- 1,000 commemorate Indian sect leader slain in Vienna - May 30, 2010
- Vienna police investigating murder of Sant Rama Nand shot at - Jun 15, 2009
- Akal Takht asks SGPC to send team to probe Vienna shooting - Aug 12, 2009
- In Vienna, followers pay last respects to Rama Nand - Jun 02, 2009
- Body of sect leader killed in Vienna to be flown to India - May 25, 2009
- Ashes of Sant Rama Nand Dass taken to Haridwar for immersion - Jun 07, 2009
- State funeral for sect leader as thousands attend in Punjab (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- Curfew in Hoshiarpur - May 25, 2009
- Indian Sikh guru dies in Austrian gurdwara clash, six held (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Man who led Vienna attack also in hospital - May 29, 2009
- Arms haul from arrested Sikh's house in Vienna (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Thousands pour in for sect leader's cremation in Punjab - Jun 04, 2009
- Punjab assembly by-poll postponed to June 12 - May 26, 2009
- Dalits in Canada call Vienna killing 'act of terrorism' - May 26, 2009
Tags: austria vienna, austrian citizen, austrian press agency, handgun, haryana state, indian descent, indian temple, man fires, nand, neighbouring, northern india, orthodox sikhs, police spokesman, police units, punjab, religious leader, riots, sect, sikh temple, two shots