Man fined for acrobatic dives in Italian fountainNovember 17th, 2010 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Nov 17 (IANs/AKI) A homeless Romanian, dubbed ‘Attila the Hun’, was fined 160 euros by police after he staged a spectacular diving display in Rome’s famous 17th-century Trevi fountain.
The Romanian showed the agility of a gymnast, repeatedly climbing to the top of the fountain and performing a series of dives to the amusement of a crowd of tourists and onlookers, many of whom filmed his antics.
“I’ve got it in for the world,” the man told police who arrested him. Police had earlier fined the unnamed man for defacing a wall in a nearby street.
The display ended when police ordered the man clad only in dripping wet black jeans out of the fountain and arrested him.
Ever since Federico Fellini’s 1960 film “La Dolce Vita” when Anita Ekberg and Marcello Matroianni frollicked in the Trevi fountain, tourists have loved to recreate the iconic scene and take forbidden dips in the monument.
Visitors also toss coins into the fountain over their shoulders, which according to tradition means they will return to Rome.
In September 2009, police caught a Dutch tourist carving her name on the celebrated Baroque fountain.
She was charged with damaging monuments but was not arrested.
The Trevi fountain was designed by architect Nicola Salvi and completed by Giuseppe Pannini in 1762. It was originally commissioned from Gian Lorenzo Bernini by Pope Urban VIII.
Salvi used many of Bernini’s touches in the fountain’s design.
- Rome's Trevi Fountain is 'crumbling' - Jun 11, 2012
- 'Dolce Vita' diva Ekberg appeals for help - Dec 23, 2011
- Anderson bares all for 11th Playboy cover - Oct 21, 2010
- Pammie sets new 'Playboy' record - Dec 16, 2010
- Woman dies after leaping from Leaning Tower of Pisa - May 16, 2012
- Head of vandalised statue found after 200 years - Sep 01, 2010
- Trucker held in Italy for 'radioactive' cargo - Oct 07, 2010
- Italian teacher held for giving passing grades for sex - Jun 28, 2012
- Italian sets himself ablaze after job loss - Aug 20, 2012
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Zuckerberg honeymooning in Rome - May 29, 2012
- Rome zoo feeds animals frozen yoghurt - Aug 21, 2012
- Two wanted terrorists held in Indonesia - Jul 13, 2012
- Passenger attacks pilot over delayed flight - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: anita ekberg, baroque fountain, climbing to the top, dips, dives, dutch tourist, federico fellini, film la dolce vita, gian lorenzo bernini, gymnast, la dolce vita, marcello, monument visitors, nearby street, onlookers, pannini, pope urban, trevi fountain, unnamed man, urban viii