Man finds buried Spanish treasure ship using Google EarthFebruary 11th, 2009 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, February 11 (ANI): A treasure hunter is thankful to Google Earth for allegedly helping him find a buried ship crammed with treasure.
Nathan Smith, a musician from Los Angeles, revealed that he used the popular satellite imaging service to hunt for the lost gold and silver cargo of a Spanish ship that had reportedly hit the shores of Texas in 1822.
He further claimed having zoomed in on the shoeprint-like-shape near the area where the ship was said to have run ashore.
After having consulted experts, Smith visited the site with a metal detector and believed that he had literally struck gold with his finding of the buried vessel.
He is now locked in a legal battle with the ranch’’s owners over the excavation of the site that he claimed could be holding riches worth 3 billion dollars.
However, Ron Walker, the attorney representing the ranch owners, said that the claim was totally unfounded.
“It was offensive that somebody could go on Google Earth, look down and see what they think under the ground…and come in and say I want to dig up your property. They have no proof anything is there and no experience,” the Telegraph quoted him as telling ABC News. (ANI)
- Treasure hunter finds $3bn-worth platinum in shipwreck - Feb 02, 2012
- British shipwreck containing $3 bn treasure found (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 02, 2012
- NZ man's lost ring resurfaces after 40 years - Sep 15, 2010
- Ring worth $500,000 recovered from sunken ship - Jun 26, 2011
- Africa is in my blood: Wilbur Smith (Interview) - Apr 29, 2011
- 52,000 Roman coins discovered in England - Jul 12, 2010
- Google Celebrates Robert Louis Stevenson's Birthday - Nov 14, 2010
- Girl vents ire on ex-beau's images on Google - Feb 07, 2011
- 30 rescued from sinking cargo ship off Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- New curvilinear camera adds a zoom to the 'human eye' - Jan 18, 2011
- Remains of Iron Age dog guarding ancient treasure unearthed - Jan 27, 2011
- Google's eye in sky could catch you with pants down - Jun 11, 2012
- Children will find 'Journey 2' likeable (IANS Movie Review) - Feb 05, 2012
- Man held for burying alive wife, three others - Jan 22, 2012
- US cables link China to Google hacking: WikiLeaks - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: abc news, billion dollars, excavation, gold and silver, google, google earth, imaging service, metal detector, musician, nathan smith, proof, ron walker, satellite imaging, shape, shoeprint, spanish ship, spanish treasure, telegraph, treasure hunter, treasure ship