Man fakes own death to get insurance payoutNovember 3rd, 2011 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
London, November 3 (IANS) A British man faked his own death to get his hands on his life insurance payout worth one million pounds, a media report said Thursday.
Ecuador-born 47-year-old Hugo Jose Sanchez, who was hunted by police for six years, has now been arrested in Australia, Sky News reported.
His plot was unravelled when his fingerprints were found on his own death certificate.
Sanchez carried out the scam along with his wife Sophie, who was arrested and sentenced to two years in jail in September 2010 on related charges.
Sanchez is being held by Australian federal police in Sydney.
They are not the first Britons to attempt such a scam.
Former teacher John Darwin faked his disappearance in a canoe incident in 2002 so that his wife could claim his life insurance.
Darwin turned up alive in 2007. The couple were tracked down while purchasing property in Panama. They were each sentenced to six years in jail in 2008.
A former minister and MP, John Stonehouse left a heap of his clothes on a Miami beach in 1974. He was discovered in Australia and arrested that year.
- Murdoch's Sky News admits hacking emails - Apr 05, 2012
- Swiss man jailed in Cambodia for child sex - Sep 14, 2012
- Russian gang nabbed in US for $279 mn fraud - Mar 01, 2012
- CRPF ex-cop sentenced to death for killing seven - Apr 30, 2012
- Indian student jailed in Australia in visa scam - Mar 27, 2012
- Jose Adrian Cano Arrested Over Mocospace Scandal - Oct 03, 2010
- Chris John's forged will presented by wife & mistress - May 06, 2011
- Katie Medley survives theatre shooting and then gives birth to a baby boy - Jul 24, 2012
- Tusshar's old car in 'Kya Super Kool...' (Movie Snippets) - Jun 04, 2012
- Stepfather held in China for drowning kid - Feb 04, 2012
- Indian couple jailed in British immigration scam - May 17, 2012
- Indian American jewellers found guilty of movie-style robbery - Mar 05, 2011
- Indian jailed for raping student in Australia - Aug 25, 2010
- L'Affaire Assange: Lessons from Latin America (Comment) - Sep 03, 2012
- Murder convict arrested 10 years after jumping parole - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: australian federal police, british man, britons, canoe, death certificate, disappearance, fingerprints, heap, hugo, insurance payout, john darwin, john stonehouse, jose sanchez, life insurance, miami beach, one million, property in panama, sky news, teacher john, wife sophie