Man comes back to life half an hour after dyingJune 12th, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 12 (ANI): In a rare example of a phenomenon known as Lazarus Syndrome, a 23-year-old man came back to life 30 minutes after doctors pronounced him dead.
Doctors at the Royal Preston Hospital declared Michael Wilkinson dead on February 1.
However, half an hour later, doctors realised that his pulse had returned, reports the Telegraph.
Wilkinson survived for two days before being pronounced dead a second time.
An inquest heard that his return to life was known as Lazarus syndrome - the spontaneous return of circulation after attempts to resuscitate fail.
There have only ever been 38 cases recorded worldwide.
The syndrome takes its name from the biblical story of Lazarus, who was raised from the dead by Jesus.
John Whittaker, a consultant at the Royal Preston’s accident and emergency department, said it was “not a small thing” to pronounce a patient dead. “You make absolutely certain,” he added.
Wilkinson had collapsed after an evening in which he had enjoyed a number of drinks with his family.
However, tests showed that alcohol played no part in the incident.
A post mortem conducted at the Royal Blackburn Hospital found that he had an undiagnosed heart condition in which his left ventricle had become abnormally thickened. (ANI)
- Marathons could permanently damage heart: Study - Dec 07, 2011
- Former Tory MP's son died in India after eating opium - Apr 29, 2011
- Malawi president dies of heart attack - Apr 06, 2012
- Where Jesus' language Aramaic lives on in Syrian village - Apr 22, 2012
- Dutch Prince Friso buried by avalanche in Austria, in critical condition - Feb 17, 2012
- Baby bitten 100 times by pet dog - Aug 31, 2010
- Cross-channel swimmer dies on maiden attempt - Jul 23, 2012
- MJ 'died long before he reached hospital' - Jan 08, 2011
- Tributes paid to 15 years old footballer Huw Thatcher - Mar 15, 2011
- Woman rides wheelchair over two miles to kill herself - Feb 26, 2012
- British boy hangs himself after watching movie - Aug 11, 2011
- Unable to care for wife, man commits suicide in Rolls-Royce - Oct 28, 2011
- US Green Card holder kills self - May 04, 2011
- Beware of forgotten baby syndrome - Mar 12, 2012
- Puerto Rico Blowtorch Attack Victims Recuperating, Attacker Arrested - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: accident and emergency, blackburn, circulation, dead doctors, emergency department, half an hour, heart condition, inquest, jesus john, john whittaker, lazarus syndrome, left ventricle, michael wilkinson, phenomenon, post mortem, rare example, second time, spontaneous return, story of lazarus, undiagnosed heart