Man blows himself up outside Moscow shopping centreFebruary 27th, 2011 - 6:41 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 27 (IANS) A man blew up himself with a grenade in an apparent suicide attack at the entrance to a shopping centre in Moscow Saturday, media reports said.Interfax news agency reported that the 41-year-old man drove up to the store on the Yurlovsky Proyezd street in a silver-coloured Range Rover, parked the car outside the store and came up to the entrance.
According to eyewitnesses, he was muttering something unintelligible, and then took out a grenade and pulled out the pin, after which the grenade exploded.
Though the man died at the scene, no one else was hurt, an official said.
The man was identified as Yevgeny Yurov, a businessman from the Siberian province of Irkutsk.
DPA reported that shortly before the incident, the man had informed his son over the phone that he would commit suicide, police said, adding that family dispute may have been the reason behind the act.
A suicide bomber killed 36 people by blowing himself up at Moscow’s Domodedovo airport in January.
- 31 killed in Moscow airport suicide bombing (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Suicide bombers kill 35 in Moscow airport (Fourth Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Suicide bombers kill 31 in Moscow airport (Third Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills dozens at Moscow airport - Jan 24, 2011
- Anti terror panel blames `insufficient' security for Moscow blast - Jan 25, 2011
- 31 killed in Moscow airport bombing - Jan 24, 2011
- 20 killed in Moscow airport blast (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Two killed in Moscow airport blast - Jan 24, 2011
- Goldman Sachs chosen adviser for Russian airport's sale - Dec 20, 2011
- Moscow suicide bomber hung around for 15 minutes: report - Jan 27, 2011
- Interpol to help probe Moscow bombing - Jan 26, 2011
- UPDATE: Suicide bomber kills dozens at Moscow airport - Jan 24, 2011
- Three killed in Russian plane explosion (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- Man rescued from trash chute - May 17, 2012
- It was a well-planned terrorist act: Medvedev (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: apparent suicide, businessman, domodedovo airport, dpa, eyewitnesses, family dispute, grenade, moscow, news agency, old man, range rover, shopping centre, suicide attack, suicide bomber, yevgeny