Man beaten to death at Sydney airportMarch 22nd, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, March 22 (DPA) Horrified passengers at Sydney airport’s domestic terminal witnessed a clash between rival outlaw motorcycle gangs Sunday in which one man was bludgeoned to death with metal posts.
Police said members of one gang lay in wait for members of another gang to arrive on a flight to Sydney and set about them as they emerged in the arrival hall.
“It looked like two people fighting at first, and then all of a sudden a whole rush of guys came through the crowd, picked up the poles and just started smacking this guy in the head with the poles,” witness Phil Crew told national broadcaster ABC.
The 28-year-old victim was pronounced dead on arrival at hospital.
Detective Inspector Peter Williams said the attackers fled in taxis, but that four men were later arrested. He said the attack could be connected to drive-by shootings in Sydney Saturday.
There have been tit-for-tat clashes between rival gangs that have included premises being fire-bombed and gang members being shot in the legs. Police suspect the gang warfare is over control of the trade in drugs.
- Crackdown on motorcycle gang follows Sydney airport killing - Mar 23, 2009
- Asian-origin girl, paralysed in shooting, faces tough life - Mar 26, 2012
- Stone-pelting mob clashes with police in Baramulla - Apr 06, 2012
- Kerala government to proceed against CPI-M leader Mani: Chandy - Jun 03, 2012
- CPI-M promises action against Kerala leader - May 29, 2012
- Gang members 'more than twice as likely to be victimized' - Apr 14, 2011
- PCB may sue Trott for altercation with Riaz in tit-for-tat response to ECB Butt threat - Sep 25, 2010
- ISI exposed CIA station chief for lawsuit: Report - Jan 01, 2011
- Pak can't take any irresponsible step to stop US drone attacks: Gilani - Jan 02, 2011
- DPRK warns blowing up South's propaganda tools, turning Seoul into 'sea of flames' - Jun 12, 2010
- Case will be made against CPI-M leader Mani: Chandy (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Shootout outside Punjab court, 2 injured - Apr 22, 2011
- The killing fields of Kerala - Jun 01, 2012
- Cameron to visit Moscow - Sep 07, 2011
- Three held for attacking 9 Ukrainian tourists - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: arrival hall, attackers, clash, clashes, dead on arrival, detective inspector, domestic terminal, dpa, four men, gang members, gang warfare, metal posts, national broadcaster, outlaw motorcycle gangs, premises, rival gangs, sydney airport, sydney march, taxis, witness