Man arrested in England for allegedly burning KoranJanuary 21st, 2011 - 5:17 pm ICT by ANI
Carlisle (England), Jan 21(ANI): A 32-year-old man has been arrested after a Koran was allegedly burned during an anti-Islam rant in Carlisle, England.
The arrest came after a man was reported to have stood on a street in Carlisle city centre on Wednesday, loudly making pronouncements against the Muslim religion in front of a large crowd.
The man is then alleged to have set fire to a Koran he was holding, before discarding it and hurrying away, the Scotsman reported.
A spokesman for Cumbria Police confirmed the arrest.
The incident comes a day after controversial US preacher pastor Terry Jones was barred from entering the United Kingdom.
Pastor Jones had earlier last year caused an outrage when he announced plans by his Florida-based church to burn copies of the Koran to mark the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on America.
He had been invited to England to address an English Defence League (EDL) rally in Luton in February.
However, the Home Office has decided that his presence in country ‘is not conducive to the public good’.
Jones’ son, pastor Luke Jones, had earlier expressed surprise that his father’s visit had been banned.
“Our protests are against a book, the Koran - people are not our target. We should all be able to voice our opinion in a peaceful way,” pastor Luke had said. (ANI)
- US Koran-burning pastor banned from entering UK - Jan 20, 2011
- Home Secretary pressed to halt anti-Muslim US preacher's visit to UK - Dec 12, 2010
- US Koran-burning pastor says will fight all moves to bar him from UK - Dec 13, 2010
- US pastor who burned Koran says violent attack in Afghanistan 'proves his point' about Islam - Apr 02, 2011
- Afghan insurgent believed to be ringleader of attack on U.N. Office over Koran burning issue - Apr 02, 2011
- UK Koran burner jailed for 70 days - Apr 19, 2011
- Confusion over mosque status following pastor's plan to put burning Quran on 9/11 "on hold" - Sep 10, 2010
- Florida church to burn 'Koran' on ninth anniversary of 9/11 attacks in protest - Jul 31, 2010
- Pakistan condemns Quran burning in US - May 03, 2012
- US defence secretary calls Florida pastor (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- US pastor who burned Koran considering putting Prophet Mohammed on trial - Apr 03, 2011
- Ground Zero imam blames Palin for fueling a "growing Islamophobia" in US - Sep 13, 2010
- Koran burning plans "one hundred" percent called off - Sep 11, 2010
- Florida pastor cancels Quran-burning event to discuss 'Ground Zero' mosque move - Sep 10, 2010
- 2 die in the anti-Koran burning protest event in Kabul - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: 9 11 attacks, carlisle city centre, defence league, english defence, islam, jan 21, large crowd, luke jones, luton, muslim religion, old man, outrage, preacher, pronouncements, protests, rant, scotsman, spokesman, target, terry jones