Man arrested for Barack Obama assassination threatJanuary 17th, 2009 - 2:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 17 (ANI): Steven Joseph Christopher was arrested in Brookhaven, Mississippi after having made threats to assassinate US President elect Barack Obama during his January 20 inauguration, according to the US Department of Justice.
Threats against the president-elect will be taken very seriously, said US attorney Dunn Lampton.
Christopher, who is from Wisconsin, was arrested by the Secret Service in Brookhaven on Friday, after two threats were posted on the Internet, The Telegraph reported.
Federal prosecutors said that he was charged with threatening to kill Obama for what he claimed was the countrys own good.
The criminal complaint was sealed until the 42-year-old suspects appearance in a federal court. A judge ordered Christopher to be held until a bail hearing next Thursday.
He is said to have made two threats on January 11 and January 15.
The security scare came as Obama is preparing to take office as Americas first Black president at his inauguration in Washington next Tuesday.
It followed the uncovering of a suspected neo-Nazi plot to kill Obama last October shortly before the US election.
The plot centred on Tennessee, where the Black civil rights campaigner Martin Luther King was assassinated 41 years ago.
Two neo-Nazi skinheads were accused of planning to rob a gun shop and go on a murder spree at an African-American high school, with Obama as their final target.
Last August four people were arrested after allegedly planning to assassinate Obama at a convention centre in Denver, Colorado. (ANI)
- 'Gurdwara shooter was a neo-Nazi' - Aug 10, 2012
- Two arrested in plot to kill Obama, other Blacks - Oct 28, 2008
- Skinheads' orgy of violence at Russian festival leaves girl dead, over 100 injured - Aug 30, 2010
- Exhibition chronicles Gandhi-King ties - Feb 02, 2012
- Obama is the biggest ever assassination target in American history - Jan 20, 2009
- Rights activist Cornel West arrested - Oct 17, 2011
- Apple removes Nazi Party anthem from iTunes online store - Jan 28, 2011
- Extremist militias on the rise in US - Aug 14, 2009
- Man pleads guilty for threatening to kill Obama - Aug 20, 2009
- Neo-Nazi activities cause panic in Israeli city - Sep 07, 2009
- Gurdwara killer driven by racist music - Aug 07, 2012
- Two white supremacists face charges in Obama murder plot - Nov 06, 2008
- Hungarian president outraged by planned neo-Nazi gathering - Aug 12, 2009
- Conservatives flood Washington rally - Aug 29, 2010
- Euro 2012: UEFA fines Croatia for racism - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: barack obama, black civil rights, brookhaven mississippi, civil rights campaigner, criminal complaint, denver colorado, department of justice, dunn lampton, federal prosecutors, final target, first black president, gun shop, inauguration, january 20, london jan, martin luther king, murder spree, neo nazi skinheads, secret service, us department of justice