Man admits to killing wife during honeymoonJune 5th, 2009 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, June 5 (DPA) Gabe Watson admitted to drowning his wife during a scuba dive while honeymooning on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef six years ago.
Watson, 32, avoided a murder trial before a Brisbane court Friday by entering a guilty plea to the lesser charge of manslaughter.
A witness at the inquest said the US couple appeared to embrace 15 metres below the surface before Tina Watson, 26, sank to the bottom and her bubble-wrap salesman husband swam to the surface.
It was alleged that Watson had grabbed his wife in a bear hug, turned off her oxygen supply to asphyxiate her, and turned the valve back on when she was dead or nearly dead.
The inquest found no fault with her equipment.
Prosecutor Brendan Campbell accepted the plea to manslaughter on the basis that Watson had failed in his duty as a dive buddy by not giving her emergency oxygen.
He had not inflated her buoyancy vest, removed weights from her belt or attempted to help her.
“He virtually extinguished any chance of her survival,” Campbell told the court, demanding a five-year sentence with the possibility of parole only after 18 months.
Tina Watson was on only her second dive when she drowned and her husband of 11 days was a certified rescue diver.
In a videotaped statement to police, Watson, who has remarried, had described watching his wife sink, her arms stretched towards him.
He claimed she had knocked his mask off and that she sank so quickly that he couldn’t reach her - claims the court rejected.
- Husband gets longer jail term for drowning wife - Sep 18, 2009
- Jordan's boobs 'could drown her if she goes diving during vacation' - Apr 15, 2010
- Brit man drowns in bath as wife cheats on him with stepson in hotel - Jan 26, 2011
- Briton stabs wife 100 times after reading killing manual - Jul 27, 2011
- Australian ex-cop jailed for pushing wife off cliff - Sep 03, 2010
- Why Is Sameera Reddy Staying Under Water For Long? - Nov 23, 2010
- Indian-origin wife found guilty of manslaughter after burning hubby's penis - Oct 13, 2010
- Woman double-crosses court for son's custody, gets rap - Feb 25, 2012
- Unable to care for wife, man commits suicide in Rolls-Royce - Oct 28, 2011
- Indian-origin woman cleared of murdering husband - Oct 13, 2010
- Court orders seizure of ex-armyman's revolver - Jun 06, 2012
- Supreme Court to deliver verdict on Aruna Shanbaug euthanasia plea - Mar 07, 2011
- Kate Moss scared of fish - Aug 25, 2011
- Biel becomes professional scuba diver - Jul 01, 2012
- Supreme Court reserves judgment on Aruna Shanbaug euthanasia plea - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: bear hug, bubble wrap, buoyancy, dive buddy, dpa, emergency oxygen, gabe watson, great barrier reef, guilty plea, honeymooning, inquest, manslaughter, murder trial, oxygen supply, prosecutor, rescue diver, scuba dive, second dive, vest, weights