Maliki’s coalition ahead in Iraq’s provincial electionsFebruary 20th, 2009 - 4:36 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Feb 20 (DPA) A coalition led by Iraqi Prime Minister Nuori al-Maliki won a majority of seats in Iraq’s Basra province and a near majority in the capital of Baghdad, Iraq’s electoral commission announced Thursday.
In the southern province of Basra, al-Maliki’s State of Law coalition won 20 out of the province’s 35 seats, Iraqi news agency the Voices of Iraq (VOI) reported.
The province, known for its oil, is an important victory for the Iraqi premier.
In the province of Baghdad, the State of Law coalition won the majority of the capital’s council. Twenty-eight seats went to the State of Law coalition, followed by the Sunni Tawafuq party, which won seven seats.
Sunnis, who boycotted Iraqi elections in 2005, made a strong showing in last month’s elections, with the Awakening Councils, also known as “Sahwa”, winning more seats - eight - than any other party in the Sunni Anbar province’s 29-seat council, VOI reported.
The Awakening Councils are tribal leaders who turned against Al Qaeda militants in Iraq after collaborating with the US forces in the country.
The elections Jan 31 were a milestone for Iraq’s sovereignty. They are the first elections to be supervised by Iraqi security without foreign help since the US-led invasion in 2003.
The elections took place in 14 out of Iraq’s 18 provinces, leaving out the three provinces of the Kurdish Autonomous Region and Kirkuk. Votes there have yet to be scheduled.
- Iraqi parliamentary race remains close - Mar 15, 2010
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Rival edges past al-Maliki in Iraq's vote count - Mar 20, 2010
- Iraqi court ratifies parliamentary election results - Jun 01, 2010
- Iraq's ex-PM gets life threats - Jun 19, 2010
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Opposition leader agrees to join Maliki Government in Iraq - Dec 16, 2010
- Eight killed in separate attacks in Iraq - Apr 20, 2010
- 40 killed in suicide attacks in Iraq (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- UN Security Council urges Iraqis to form new government - Jun 04, 2010
- Early Iraq poll results show tight race - Mar 13, 2010
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 43 killed in Baghdad suicide bombing - Jul 18, 2010
Tags: al maliki, al qaeda, al qaeda militants, autonomous region, baghdad iraq, basra, electoral commission, iraqi elections, iraqi news agency, iraqi security, kirkuk, milestone, prime minister, provincial elections, s council, sahwa, southern province, sovereignty, tribal leaders, voices of iraq