Maldives Foreign Minister meets Pranab MukherjeeDecember 1st, 2008 - 6:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 1 (ANI): Maldives Foreign Minister Ahmed Shaheed called on his Indian counterpart Pranab Mukherjee here today.
Shaheed reached New Delhi on Sunday on a three-day visit to India to further bilateral relations.
Maldivian minister’’s visit to New Delhi comes within weeks of a new democratically elected government assuming charge in Male.
Reports said that both the ministers held talks on a wide range of bilateral and regional issues.
Expansion of economic ties and energy security were likely to dominate the talks.
The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Maldives, famous for its luxury holiday resorts and pristine beaches, is less than one billion dollar, and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned it to trim a large government payroll and create more sustainable revenues beside those from tourism.
The newly elected government of Maldives is likely to seek help from the Indian government that has been affected by the global meltdown.
India too looks forward to strengthening and deepening its relationship with Maldives and assisting it in its various developmental efforts.
President Mohamed Nasheed took the charge from Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, who jailed him repeatedly on what rights groups say were trumped-up charges, on November 11 at a brief ceremony that was attended among others by Indian Vice-President Hamid Ansari. (ANI)
- Maldivian President Waheed to make first ever visit to India - May 10, 2012
- Nasheed 'happy' with India's approach: Ex-minister - Feb 16, 2012
- Mathai in Maldives for talks amid deepening crisis (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Nasheed disappointed with India, says Maldives ex-foreign minister (Interview) (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Nasheed disappointed with India, says Maldives ex-foreign minister (Interview) - Feb 12, 2012
- Maldives' ex-president Gayoom returns to homeland - Mar 06, 2012
- PM pledges support to new Maldivian president - Feb 08, 2012
- No Indian push on unconstitutional polls: Maldivian president (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Maldives president to visit India in May - Apr 03, 2012
- Nasheed held world's first underwater cabinet meeting - Feb 07, 2012
- Refused military offers of a counter-coup: Ex-Maldivian president - Apr 18, 2012
- Maldives welcomes India's role, Waheed to visit New Delhi (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Maldives president wants to meet (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Maldives president wants to meet Manmohan (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Maldives crisis festers, India pushes for political deal (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: bilateral relations, developmental efforts, economic ties, energy security, global meltdown, government payroll, gross domestic product, holiday resorts, indian counterpart, indian government, international monetary fund, international monetary fund imf, luxury holiday, maumoon abdul gayoom, mumbai terror attack, nasheed, one billion, pranab mukherjee, president mohamed, pristine beaches, regional issues