Malaysia’s oldest Hindu temple portrayed on stamp for the first timeAugust 23rd, 2010 - 3:37 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Aug. 23 (ANI): Malaysia’s oldest Hindu temple - the Sri Maha Mariamman temple — has been given the honour of being the first ever to be portrayed on a postage stamp.
According to The Star, Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) president S. Samy Vellu launched the stamp on Sunday to commemorate the temple’s sixth consecration ceremony to be held today.
The ceremony is held once every 12 years.
The ceremony was to celebrate the completion of the temple’s upgrading work every 12 years and to re-energise the power of the temple, said its information officer B. Vivekananda.
Founded in 1873, the temple, which was originally located near the Kuala Lumpur railway station was moved to the current place in Jalan Tun H.S. Lee in 1885. It is credited with having 242 idols on its gopuram (gateway). (ANI)
- Hindus laud Malaysian postage stamp of Mahamariamman Temple - Aug 25, 2010
- Malay-Indians begin silver chariot procession - Jan 19, 2011
- Malaysian PM launches Malay Indian Vellu's 'tell-all' biography - Dec 12, 2010
- Samy Vellu appointed Malaysia's special envoy to India - Dec 13, 2010
- Indian Malaysians all set to herald in New Year - Apr 11, 2011
- Samy Vellu to begin special envoy duties with India visit this week - Jan 03, 2011
- Malaysian Indian Congress to have new leader after 31 years - Dec 03, 2010
- Samy Vellu to promote infrastructure projects in India - Apr 08, 2011
- Malaysian Indian leader restrained from registering members - Mar 08, 2011
- Vellu may be Malaysia's special envoy to India - Dec 07, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress has new secretary general - Feb 18, 2011
- Malaysian Indian Congress chief to be business envoy - Nov 22, 2010
- Samy Vellu asks Malaysian Indian leaders to prove critics wrong - Nov 16, 2009
- Former MIC Chief Vellu appointed special envoy to India-South Asia on infrastructure - Dec 13, 2010
- G. Palanivel named new Malaysian Indian Congress Chief - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: amman temple, consecration ceremony, current place, honour, information officer, kuala lumpur railway station, malaysian indian congress, mari, mic, oldest hindu temple, postage stamp, samy vellu, shy, sri maha