Malaysian police nab Indian man after finding drugs in TV setMarch 19th, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, March 19 (DPA) Malaysian airport police have detained an Indian national after they found 46 bags of the drug ketamine hidden inside a television set, a news report said Thursday.
The 32-year-old man was arrested Tuesday after customs officers at Kuching International Airport in Malaysia’s eastern state of Sarawak discovered drugs during a routine inspection, department director Rusmani Abdul Sukur said.
The officers found 7 kilograms of ketamine, an animal tranquilizer-turned-party drug, worth 245,000 ringgit ($65,860) stuffed into the television casing, Rusmani was quoted as saying by the New Straits Times daily.
Authorities found it suspicious that a visitor from India would lug a television set to the state and conducted a check, he said.
The suspect, who had departed from New Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport Monday, was being detained to facilitate investigations into a possible international drug ring.
“We believe the man was not acting alone,” Rusmani said. “We do not rule out the possibility that he could be part of a drug syndicate.”
Malaysia’s tough drug laws prescribe a mandatory death sentence by hanging for those found guilty of smuggling or distributing most types of drugs.
- Indian held with huge amount of ketamine in Malaysia - May 06, 2009
- Indian caught with drugs in Malaysia - Jul 23, 2010
- Indian detained in Malaysia, drugs seized - Jul 07, 2009
- Six foreigners held in Malaysian drug bust - Nov 21, 2011
- Malaysia raids football gambling syndicates - Jul 05, 2012
- Two Indians held in Malaysia with drugs - Aug 10, 2010
- Malaysia detains Indian man for drug trafficking - Mar 21, 2009
- Indonesia may become top ecstasy drug maker in Asia - Mar 01, 2012
- Uzbek woman held with 2,000 tortoises - Apr 05, 2012
- Indian arrested for smuggling ketamine drug into Taiwan - Jun 10, 2010
- 'Drug syndicates using Facebook to recruit young Malaysian women as smugglers' - Dec 02, 2010
- Malaysian police seize ketamine believed to be from India - Oct 14, 2008
- Malaysia to hang Indian for drug trafficking - Dec 08, 2010
- Drugs hidden with Indian prayer ash seized in Malaysia - Jan 05, 2010
- Three Indians held with drugs in Malaysia - Dec 10, 2009
Tags: airport police, animal tranquilizer, customs officers, department director, indian man, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, kilograms, kuala lumpur, kuching international airport, malaysian police, mandatory death sentence, march 19, new straits times, news report, police nab, routine inspection, state of sarawak, sukur, types of drugs