Malaysian PM to discuss MIC leadership change plan with Samy VelluSeptember 21st, 2009 - 3:06 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Sep. 21 (ANI): Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak will meet Malaysian Indian Congress president S. Samy Vellu to discuss the leadership change plan of the party.
Najib confirmed that he had met Samy Vellu before the MIC election to discuss his succession plan.
“At that time, he told me that he could not step down and if he did, it would destablise the party. But that was before the party election. But now, after the election, I will discuss with him again but this should not be seen as BN’s interference in the internal affairs of the MIC,” The New Straits Times quoted Razak, as saying.
The MIC held its party polls last week to elect a deputy president, three vice-presidents and 23 central working committee members.
Samy Vellu, who has been MIC chief since 1981, won the party presidency for a record 11th consecutive term in March this year.
Earlier, former prime minister Dr Mohamad had warned that Samy Vellu would become a liability to the Barisan Nasional in the next general election, and he should step down.
To this, the MIC president had said that Dr Mahathir should not issue statements about the party leadership and that he had discussed with Najib on the party’s succession plan in June, this year. (ANI)
- MIC chief Samy Vellu says he won't retire before 2012 - Sep 19, 2009
- Malaysian Indian Congress chief may step down soon - Sep 20, 2009
- Malaysian Indian Congress chief 'under pressure to quit' - May 07, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress chief to be business envoy - Nov 22, 2010
- Samy Vellu to promote infrastructure projects in India - Apr 08, 2011
- Malaysian PM opts for Indian party's nominee in by-poll - Apr 08, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress has new secretary general - Feb 18, 2011
- Malaysian Indian leader to seek more business ties in India - Jan 03, 2011
- Malaysian Indian Congress to contest seats lost in 2008 poll - May 30, 2011
- Two Malaysian Indian Congress leaders sacked - May 25, 2010
- Major changes ahead in Malaysian Indian Congress - Jun 06, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress to have new leader after 31 years - Dec 03, 2010
- Malaysian Indians moving away from opposition alliance: Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Stop bickering, Malaysian PM tells ethnic Indian politicians - Jul 11, 2010
- Former Malaysian PM, MIC chief Samy Vellu engaged in war of words - Sep 19, 2009
Tags: barisan nasional, committee members, congress president, consecutive term, deputy president, dr mahathir, former prime minister, internal affairs, kuala lumpur, leadership change, malaysian indian congress, malaysian prime minister, mohamad, new straits times, party election, party leadership, samy vellu, succession plan, vice presidents, working committee