Malaysian model to have royal audience before being canedFebruary 17th, 2010 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Feb 17 (IANS) The sultan and the regent of Malaysia’s Pahang state will grant an audience to a part-time model who has expressed a wish to meet them before being caned for drinking in public.
Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno will undergo her caning sentence after her audience with them, the state’s Religious Department director Abdul Manan Abdul Rahman said.
Kartika made international headlines last year when she insisted on being caned as part of punishment for drinking alcohol in public.
Caning, or being thrashed by a rote, is a sentence usually reserved for men in Muslim-majority Malaysia where drinking in public for Muslims is an offence.
The official said Kartika had expressed the wish to meet the regent or the sultan and she could meet both.
The date of her punishment is yet to be decided.
After media uproar at home and human rights bodies’ appeals, Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak had asked that the punishment be deferred.
Kartika, then 33, had refused to file an appeal.
On July 20 last year, Kartika was fined and ordered to be caned six times by the Kuantan Syariah High Court after she pleaded guilty to consuming alcohol in public.
- Muslim NGOs for punishing those questioning Malaysian model's caning - Oct 03, 2009
- Malaysian waitress who served beer to model faces caning - Sep 16, 2009
- Malaysia's 'whip-for-drinking-beer' model a free woman now - Apr 23, 2010
- Do not disturb, says Malaysian model who is to be caned - Sep 17, 2009
- Malaysian sultan commutes caning sentence against Muslim woman - Apr 01, 2010
- Fresh doubts over Malaysia's 'whip-for-drinking-beer' model's caning sentence - Nov 13, 2009
- Too late for Malaysian ex-model to appeal against caning - Aug 27, 2009
- 'Whip-for-drinking-beer' model's father hopes she will be spared the cane - Aug 31, 2009
- Malaysian model's dad hopes she won't be caned - Aug 31, 2009
- Malaysia's appeals panel upholds whip-for-beer-drinking model's punishment - Sep 29, 2009
- Part-time Malaysian model says she wants her caning sentence to be over quickly - Sep 17, 2009
- Ex-model who is to be caned can appeal: Malaysian PM - Aug 25, 2009
- Malaysian model not to be canned for drinking beer - Apr 01, 2010
- Caning of ex-model: Malaysia tries to keep moderate image - Aug 26, 2009
- Malay Islamic court orders caning of model for drinking beer - Aug 19, 2009
Tags: abdul rahman, department director, drinking alcohol, human rights bodies, international headlines, kartika sari, kuala lumpur, kuantan, muslim majority, muslims, najib tun razak, offence, pahang state, religious department, royal audience, sari dewi, six times, sultan, time model, uproar