Malaysian Indian politician Pandithan deadApril 30th, 2008 - 11:42 am ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, April 30 (IANS) Malaysian Indian politician M.G. Pandithan, the president of the Indian Progressive Front (IPF), died Wednesday after prolonged illness. Pandithan, a former MP and parliamentary secretary to the trade and industry ministry, died at 8.20 a.m.
One-time vice-president of the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC), the largest party of ethnic Indians, Pandithan fell out with party chief S. Samy Vellu in 1988 and was later sacked. He then floated the IPF.
Pandithan and Vellu remained adversaries for long and only resolved their differences last year, The Star newspaper said on its website.
Pandithan is survived by his wife Jayashree and 21-year-old son Jeyan, who is studying medicine in Ukraine.
From his hospital bed last week, Pandithan named Jayashree his successor in the IPF, declaring her the acting president. This led to some dissent within the party, the newspaper said.
- Malaysian Indian party elects new chief - Jun 15, 2010
- Malaysia's Samy Vellu invites rival party to join them (Lead) - Feb 01, 2009
- Malaysia's Samy Vellu asks rival party to join them - Feb 01, 2009
- G. Palanivel named new Malaysian Indian Congress Chief - Dec 06, 2010
- IPF president and ex-MIC man Pandithan dead - Apr 30, 2008
- Dynastic rule, factionalism ail Malaysia's Indian parties - Jun 02, 2009
- Malaysian Indian politicians draw battle lines - Nov 13, 2008
- MIC President names deputy Palanivel as his successor - May 27, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress chief to be business envoy - Nov 22, 2010
- Malaysian Indian leader restrained from registering members - Mar 08, 2011
- Vellu may be Malaysia's special envoy to India - Dec 07, 2010
- Malaysian Tamil leader invoked poet Bharathi before death - May 01, 2008
- Malay Indian leader Palanivel figuring out ways to accept sacked members - Jan 04, 2011
- Malaysian PM launches Malay Indian Vellu's 'tell-all' biography - Dec 12, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress to have new leader after 31 years - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: acting president, adversaries, dissent, indian politician, indians, industry ministry, ipf, jayashree, kuala lumpur, malaysian indian congress, medicine, mp, parliamentary secretary, party chief, progressive front, samy vellu, studying medicine, ukraine, vice president