Malaysian Indian Congress wants 250 scholarships for Malay IndiansJune 4th, 2008 - 4:08 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur , June 4 (ANI): The Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) has demanded a fixed number of Public Service Department (PSD) scholarships for Malay Indians.
MIC Information Chief M. Saravanan urged the government not to put Indians in the non-Bumiputera category.
Out of 2,000 PSD scholarships, which are awarded annually, 55 per cent scholarships were allocated for Bumiputeras and the remaining 45 per cent were given to non-Bumiputeras.
“Out of the 900 PSD scholarships for non-Bumiputeras, Indians initially received only 34, which was then increased to 70. We are now awaiting the results of about 180 appeal cases, Saravanan said.
“The Indians are already backward in terms of education, but yet we have to compete with all the other non-Bumis. The government should allocate, on an annual basis, 250 PSD scholarships for Indians,” he added.
“The current selection system is also flawed. The exam results constitute 70 per cent of the eligibility marks for the PSD scholarships. The rest is made up of the interview and such, which is very subjective, the NST Online quoted him, as saying.
He also said, “The people want transparency. If a student is the best, then he or she must be eligible for the scholarship. Now, we have students who have scored excellent marks but turned down by the PSD on the pretext that they failed in the interview.
“That half-an-hour interview decides a student’s fate. It might have taken students five years or more to obtain excellent results. Is that fair? It is not a level playing field,” he added. (ANI)
Tags: appeal cases, bumis, education, exam results, fate, half an hour, indians, kuala lumpur, malay, malaysian indian congress, mic, nst, pretext, saravanan, scholarship, scholarships, selection system, transparency