Malaysian Hindus protest Obama’s portrayal as Lord ShivaNovember 24th, 2010 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Nov 24 (IANS) A Malaysian Hindu organisation has urged the government to ban the latest issue of American magazine Newsweek for “insulting Hindus” by depicting US President Barack Obama as Lord Shiva.
P. Murugiah, deputy chairman of the Malaysia Hindu Sangam’s Penang state branch, Tuesday said the November issue of the magazine portrayed Obama as Nadarajah (Lord Shiva) with the caption “God of All Things”.
“We have received many complaints since the magazine hit news stands last Saturday,” he was quoted as saying by The Star.
Murugiah said sacred Hindu images were too often portrayed in pop culture without a proper understanding of their spiritual relevance.
“We want the publisher to apologise to Hindus worldwide for their insensitivity in using the image of a highly revered Hindu deity in such an incredulous manner,” he said.
Multi-racial Malaysia is home to 2.1 ethnic Indians, a bulk of them Tamils. They form eight percent of the country’s 28 million population.
- Hindus want Newsweek's latest issue showing Obama as Nataraja banned - Nov 24, 2010
- Jews support Hindus on protest against Newsweek's Obama Nataraja cover - Nov 27, 2010
- Malay Hindu association raps music band over CD cover - Jan 13, 2010
- Hindus upset over Newsweek cover showing Obama as Nataraja - Nov 21, 2010
- Cambodia appeals Hindus for help to safeguard landmark Preah Vihear Shiva temple - Mar 05, 2011
- Perturbed Hindus ask for immediate recall of Shiva and Ganesh puppets - Mar 04, 2010
- Promote growth of Hinduism, says Malaysian NGO - May 04, 2010
- UNESCO names Special Envoy to damaged Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border - Feb 12, 2011
- Malay Indians express outrage over sale of slippers bearing Hindu deity impressions - Feb 12, 2011
- Hindus ask ASEAN to save Shiva temple from further damage in Thai-Cambodia clash - Feb 08, 2011
- Four gopuras of landmark Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border damaged: Hindus concerned - Feb 09, 2011
- America's top civil rights group backs Hindus upset with NBC over Lord Ganesh mockery - Feb 07, 2011
- 'Make pre-marriage course compulsory for Malaysian Hindus' - Sep 05, 2010
- Book burning by Malaysian Indians sparks debate - Jan 19, 2011
- Malaysian Hindu festival gets Buddhist touch - Jan 20, 2011
Tags: barack obama, caption, deputy chairman, god, hindu deity, hindu images, indians, insensitivity, kuala lumpur, last saturday, lord shiva, malaysia hindu sangam, malaysian hindus, newsweek, penang state, pop culture, population, portrayal, protest, relevance