Malaysia to pull out of Philippine peacekeeping missionNovember 27th, 2008 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Nov 27 (DPA) Malaysia said Thursday it was withdrawing its troops from an international peacekeeping mission in the troubled southern Philippines amid stalled peace talks between the Philippine government and Muslim separatist rebels.Malaysian Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Rais Yatim said Malaysia’s troops were pulling out of the southern region of Mindanao as scheduled on Nov 30.
He said Malaysia, which has led the international monitoring team (IMT) in Mindanao since 2004, would consider rejoining the mission if the Philippine government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) make progress in peace negotiations.
“Malaysia remains supportive of the peace process and hopes that both sides opt for dialogue and negotiations in bringing about a peaceful solution in Mindanao,” he said in a statement.
“Malaysia is prepared to consider its future participation in the IMT, when there is progress in the peace process and a formal request is made by both the peace panels of the government of the Philippine and the MILF,” he added.
The 30-member IMT, which also includes Brunei, Libya and Japan, has helped implement a five-year ceasefire between the Philippine government and the MILF.
The team was originally scheduled to leave Mindanao in August but its mission was extended until November 30 on appeal of the Philippine government and the MILF.
On Wednesday, presidential peace adviser Hermogenes Esperon called for the continued stay of the IMT in Mindanao to ensure that recent hostilities between the military and the MILF do not escalate further.
Fighting has been on and off between the military and the MILF rebels since August when the guerrillas launched a series of deadly attacks in Mindanao.
- Eleven Muslim rebels killed in the Philippines - Jun 08, 2009
- Rebel commander captured in Philippines - Sep 23, 2009
- Philippines, Muslim rebels reach breakthrough in peace talks - Jul 17, 2008
- 27 killed in fighting in the Philippines - Mar 28, 2009
- Obama sends letter to Philippines Muslim rebel leader - Nov 14, 2009
- Eight rebels killed in Philippine military air strike - Mar 02, 2009
- Abducted Irish priest freed in Philippines - Nov 12, 2009
- Rebels kill eight in Philippines - Apr 04, 2011
- Southern Philippine rebels clash and kill 12 soldiers - Jul 28, 2012
- 13 rebels killed in Philippines fighting - Nov 18, 2008
- 15 killed in clash in southern Philippines - Oct 27, 2008
- 32 people killed in three days of Philippine fighting - Sep 26, 2008
- EU announces more aid for displaced in Philippines - Dec 21, 2008
- Three government anti-drug agents killed in Philippines - Apr 13, 2009
- Two killed, dozens injured in Philippine blast - Jul 07, 2009