Malaysia Education Ministry explains race column in varsity application formsApril 17th, 2011 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Apr 17 (ANI): Malaysia’s Higher Education Ministry has explained that the sub-categories under the “race” column in the Universities’ Admissions Unit’s online application forms are for authorities to check the applicants’ personal data with the National Registration Department (NRD).
The Ministry responded to a news report that quoted former Perak Bar Council chief M. Mathialagan as saying the sub-divisions under the “race” column in the forms made a mockery of Prime Minister’s Najib Tun Razak’s ‘1Malaysia’ concept to unite all races.
According to The Star, applicants are required to fill up the “race” column and indicate their sub-race or dialect group under the sub-divisions column in the application form.
For example, under the Indian category, there are eight sub divisions- Malayalee, Punjabi, Sikh, Tamil, Telegu, Malabari, Indian Muslim and Orissa.
Malays are sub-divided into Bugis, Boyan, Banjar, Jawa, Jawi Pekan and Minangkabau.
“The information is required because the ministry needs to tally it with the data at the NRD to check their citizenship status when processing the applications,” said Higher Education Ministry management of student admission division principal assistant director Rosmin Md. Amin.
She said the sub-divisions had been in place for several years and was not introduced this year, as alleged by Mathialagan. (ANI)
- Malaysia to set up special counters to help Indians without documents - Jan 18, 2011
- FSU Admissions Open For The Year 2011-12 - Dec 08, 2010
- Delhi opens e-stamp property registration office - Jul 02, 2012
- Fresh violence in Assam, curfew imposed - Aug 16, 2012
- 14 burnt to death at Tripura refugee camp - Mar 19, 2011
- Malaysia to help ethnic Indians get official documents - Jan 24, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in Assam, 100 people detained - Aug 17, 2012
- Farmers' march continues against cement factory - Mar 14, 2011
- Engineering student turns nervous wreck after ragging - Aug 16, 2010
- Tuskers trample couple to death in Bengal - Jul 11, 2011
- Agreement doesn't means division of Bengal: Mamata - Jul 18, 2011
- GJM activists stone Sikkim-bound vehicles - May 15, 2010
- Sex-change man cannot be registered as woman: Malaysian court - Jan 08, 2011
- 122 candidates file nominations for GTA polls - Jul 10, 2012
- New districts, sub-divisions and blocks for Tripura - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: amin, application forms, assistant director, boyan, citizenship status, council chief, dialect, education ministry, indian muslim, malays, malaysia education, ministry management, mockery, najib tun razak, national registration department, orissa, pekan, sikh, student admission, telegu