Malay Sikh NS trainee’s family wants “black-and-white” safety guarantee of son in campJanuary 26th, 2011 - 1:08 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Jan 26 (ANI): The family of a Malay Sikh National Service (NS) trainee, who had claimed that his hair was cut off in the camp while he was asleep, has said that they would allow the boy to return for training provided the authorities give a written assurance of his safety.
The Star quoted Basant Singh’s father Surinderpal Singh as saying that his family was still
waiting to meet the commandant.
“I want a black-and-white assurance before allowing him to return to the camp. We have yet to receive news of when the commandant will meet us,” he said.
On being asked about his action if the department fails to give him the boy’s safety assurances, Singh said: “We will wait and see.”
He also dismissed suggestions that his son may have cut the hair himself, saying: “That is nonsense.”
Last week, Singh had alleged that his son’s hair was cut by 50 centimetre as he was sleeping in the camp in Penang. He was subsequently given leave by the camp commandant until January 23, but the trainee showed least interest in joining back the camp after the incident.
The NS Department Director General Abdul Hadi Awang Kechil earlier said that Basant would not be exempted from training, but he would be allowed either to go back to the Sungai Bakap camp or switch to another camp. (ANI)
- Malay-Sikh hair cutting case: Minister says action to be taken against culprits - Jan 21, 2011
- Sikh resumes Malaysian National Service training after hair cutting incident - Feb 07, 2011
- Malay-Sikh trainee offered to shift camp over 'cutting hair while asleep' allegations - Jan 22, 2011
- Probe ordered into Malay-Sikh serviceman's 'cutting hair while asleep' claims - Jan 19, 2011
- Malaysian National Service to recruit more Sikh trainers to address problems of community - Jan 25, 2011
- Malay Sikh trainee adjusting well at new National Security camp - Feb 09, 2011
- Sikh teen to continue army training in another camp - Jan 27, 2011
- Malaysian minister orders probe in Sikh trainee's hair cut - Jan 19, 2011
- More Sikh trainers for Malaysia's National Service - Jan 25, 2011
- Malaysia's National Service training camps to allow Sikh teachers - Feb 13, 2011
- 'Sikh trainee's 'hair cutting while asleep' case indicates Malaysian ignorance - Jan 23, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to meet Services in Santosh Trophy final - May 27, 2012
- Counterfeit currency: Former defence official arrested - Jun 13, 2011
- Youth 'kidnapped' by LeT returns to India from PoK - Jun 13, 2012
- PAC to field more Malaysian Indians candidates in 2011 Polls - Mar 02, 2010