Malay opposition leader Anwar fails to have sodomy charge droppedAugust 16th, 2010 - 3:41 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Aug.16 (ANI): A Malaysian High Court has rejected opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim’s bid to strike out the sodomy charge against him.Justice Mohamad Zabidin Mohammad Diah ruled that the integrity of the prosecution had not been compromised as a result of the alleged affair between star witness Mohammad Saiful Bukhari Azlan and a member of the prosecution team, deputy public prosecutor Farah Azlina Latif.
The judge said that Farah Azlina’s role in the proceeding was limited to taking notes.
“She had no access to the investigation papers and that means, Saiful also had no access to it,” The Star quoted the judge, as saying.
The issue of Anwar not being fairly tried, therefore, did not arise, he said. This is Anwar’s second attempt to drop the charge.
Anwar, 63, the Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) advisor, is accused of sodomising Mohammad Saiful, his former personal aide on June 26, 2008. (ANI)
- Fresh twist in Anwar Ibrahim's sodomy trial - Aug 02, 2010
- Sodomy II: Former Malaya Deputy PM Anwar fails to disqualify judge - Dec 06, 2010
- Three blasts after Malaysian court acquits Anwar (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar faces sodomy trial, again - Feb 03, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader acquitted in sodomy case - Jan 09, 2012
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar tries to get judge disqualified - Feb 08, 2010
- Anwar sodomy case: High Court allows three items as DNA evidence - Mar 23, 2011
- Anwar Ibrahim to face trial on sodomy charges - Dec 01, 2009
- Malaysian leader hires Indian expert to fight sodomy case - Feb 18, 2010
- Malaysia resents foreign critics of Anwar Ibrahim sodomy trial - Feb 08, 2010
- Anwar Ibrahim to face another trial on sodomy charge - Mar 06, 2009
- Media barred from Anwar Ibrahim's second sodomy trial - Feb 04, 2010
- Respect our law, Malaysia tells US and Australia - Feb 20, 2010
- Anwar Ibrahim's 1998 sacking was lawful: Malaysian court - Mar 08, 2010
- Date set for Malaysian leader's trial on sodomy charge - Nov 03, 2009
Tags: anwar, azlan, azlina, bukhari, deputy public prosecutor, integrity, investigation papers, kuala lumpur, malay, mohamad, mohammad, opposition leader, parti keadilan rakyat, personal aide, pkr, proceeding, prosecution team, saiful, star witness