Malay-Indians begin silver chariot processionJanuary 19th, 2011 - 7:00 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Jan 19 (ANI): The Malay-Indians have begun their 12-hour silver chariot procession bearing Lord Subramaniam’s idol from the Sri Maha Mariamman temple last night.
The Star quoted Batu Caves Sri Subramaniam temple committee member N. Sivakumar as saying that they are expecting more devotees to join the procession.
Devotees thronged the streets, and filled the atmosphere with the sound of devine sounds of chantings. They also smashed coconuts and made offerings as priests performed prayers to Lord Subramaniam, the paper said.
The silver chariot would pass through Jalan Tun H.S. Lee, Jalan Pudu, Jalan Tun Perak, Lebuh Ampang, Jalan Ampang, Jalan Munshi Abdullah, Jalan Dang Wangi, Jalan Raja Laut, Jalan Sultan Ismail, Jalan Perhentian and Jalan Ipoh before reaching Batu Caves at about 2.30pm today.
The silver chariot would return back to the Sri Maha Mariamman temple at 5pm on Friday, Sivakumar added. (ANI)
- 1.7 million throng Hindu shrine in Malaysia - Feb 01, 2010
- Malaysian Hindu festival gets Buddhist touch - Jan 20, 2011
- Malay Govt. urged to recognise Thaipusam as a national festival - Jan 25, 2010
- Malay Hindus flock to Batu Caves to celebrate Thaipusam Festival - Jan 20, 2011
- Over million Hindus throng Malaysia's Batu Caves for Thaipusam Festival - Jan 31, 2010
- 79.5-kms-long Ganesha Chathurthi convoy sets record in Malaysia - Aug 24, 2009
- Hindu temple faces demolition in Malaysia - Dec 11, 2009
- Indian temple becomes first solar-powered edifice in Malaysia - Aug 03, 2010
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Thousands of Hindus expected at Malaysian temple event - May 11, 2010
- Malaysia's oldest Hindu temple portrayed on stamp for the first time - Aug 23, 2010
- Malaysian Hindus celebrate Tamil New Year - Apr 15, 2010
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: batu caves, chariot, coconuts, committee member, devotees, jalan ampang, jalan dang wangi, jalan ipoh, jalan munshi abdullah, jalan pudu, jalan raja laut, jalan sultan ismail, jalan tun perak, jan 19, perhentian, procession, sivakumar, sri maha mariamman, sri maha mariamman temple, subramaniam