Majority of Palestinians support Abbas, shows pollJune 9th, 2008 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, June 9 (Xinhua) An opinion poll has shown an upswing in the rating of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and a majority of people have opposed his resignation. According to the poll conducted by Near East Consulting Company, 73 percent of the respondents support Abbas while 27 percent trust the deposed Hamas prime minister, Ismail Haneya.
The poll, conducted May 24-27, involved randomly selected 830 respondents.
Fifty-nine percent recognise Prime Minister Salam Fayyad government as the legitimate one while 24 percent see Haneya’s government as the true one.
Abbas fired Haneya’s government last June when Hamas took over the Gaza Strip by force. He also formed a western-backed government headed by Fayyad while Hamas neglected Abbas’ decisions.
Thirty-six percent of them believe that next president will be Marwan al-Barghouthi, a senior Fatah leader jailed by Israel.
Meanwhile, 65 percent of the surveyed believe that the status of Islamic Hamas movement worsened since it ran in January 2006 elections though the movement won the elections.
As for Hamas’ efforts to broker a ceasefire with Israel via Egyptian mediators, 85 percent agreed with the idea of the ceasefire while 74 percent supported a peace treaty with Israel.
- Palestinian PM resigns for government reshuffle - Feb 14, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinian PM resigns - Mar 07, 2009
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
- Hamas PM reshuffles cabinet - Sep 03, 2012
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: 2006 elections, ceasefire, consulting company, east consulting, fatah, fatah leader, gaza strip, hamas, hamas movement, mahmoud abbas, mediators, opinion poll, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, peace treaty, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister ismail, ramallah, true one, xinhua