Major drug kingpin held in MexicoApril 3rd, 2009 - 12:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, April 3 (EFE) Mexican authorities have arrested a dreaded drug cartel kingpin, who is known as the “lord of the skies” for his fleet of aircraft.
Vicente Carrillo Leyva, son of late Juarez drug cartel founder Amado Carrillo Fuentes, was arrested from a park in the capital Wednesday following a coordinated effort by police and officials from the Attorney General’s (AG) Office, federal Police Commissioner Rodrigo Esparza told reporters here Thursday.
The 32-year-old Leyva, who has a reward of $2.1 million on his head, is the nephew of Vicente Carrillo Fuentes, who has led the Juarez cartel since Amado’s death in 1997.
According to the police commissioner, the drug lord was going by the name of Alejandro Peralta Alvarez and posing as a businessman.
Marisela Morales, head of the organised-crime unit in the AG’s office, said the highly educated Leyva was one of the “heirs” to the Juarez cartel and was responsible for “management functions and hiding illicit resources” of the group.
The arrest was the second major blow to the leadership of Mexico’s drug cartels in less than two weeks.
On March 19, Vicente Zambada Niebla, the son of Ismael “El mayo” Zambada, was arrested for his alleged role as chief of operations and logistics for the Sinaloa cartel.
Mexico has been plagued by drug-related violence, with powerful cartels battling each other and the security forces, as rival gangs vie for control of lucrative smuggling and distribution routes.
Gunmen in the pay of the cartels murdered around 2,700 people in 2007 and 1,500 in 2006, with the 2008 death toll soaring above 6,000.
So far this year, more than 1,500 people have died.
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- Mexico, a hub for money laundering, still the main foreign supplier of drugs to the U.S. - Mar 03, 2010
- Mexican authorites capture drug lord Sergio Villarreal Barragan "el Grande" - Sep 13, 2010
- Severed head left at tomb of Mexican drug lord - Jan 19, 2010
- Doctor shot dead in Mexican city - Dec 24, 2010
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
- Mexican woman killed while seeking justice for slain daughter - Dec 18, 2010
- Mexican federal police arrest drug kingpin Edgar Valdez Villareal - Aug 31, 2010
- Mexico enacts witness-protection law - Jun 09, 2012
- Mexico Navy arrests suspected drug kingpin - Sep 13, 2010
- Mexican city fires 400 cops - May 20, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: ag office, amado carrillo fuentes, crime unit, distribution routes, drug cartels, drug kingpin, drug lord, el mayo zambada, federal police, ismael el mayo zambada, juarez cartel, juarez drug cartel, lord of the skies, management functions, mexican authorities, mexico mexico, police commissioner, rival gangs, sinaloa cartel mexico, vicente carrillo fuentes