Mahathir wants Malaysian kids to learn swimmingNovember 9th, 2008 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Nov 9 (IANS) Malaysia’s Mahathir Mohamad admits to not being able to swim. But he wants parents to ensure that their wards can.Mahathir, who was the longest serving prime minister, made the appeal while launching a charity triathlon event here Saturday for an 11-year-old who will swim eight kilometres across the Putrajaya lake.
Mahathir, about 80, pointed out how important it was to learn swimming and urged parents to ensure their children could do so.
He said: “I confess I can’t swim. I am astonished that humans can swim.
“I used to worry that when I sailed on ships, I would sink to the bottom in case anything happen to the vessels,” The Star newspaper Sunday quoted him as saying.
“It is a bit too late for me but I have tried to learn swimming many times.”
The boy, Salman Ali Shariati Abdul Halim, will also cycle 360 km and run 84 km to raise funds for his attempt to swim across the English Channel next year.
If successful, the boy will become the youngest swimmer to cross the English Channel.
- Brit woman becomes slowest person to swim English Channel - Jul 28, 2010
- Hazare's supporters on the Ganga too - Aug 22, 2011
- Irishman Paraic Casey dies while attempting to swim across the English Channel - Jul 23, 2012
- Ronan Keating swims Irish sea for charity - Sep 03, 2011
- After Japan crisis, Malaysia undecided on n-power plants - Mar 17, 2011
- Khade's medal will inspire gen-next of Indian swimmers: Khazan - Nov 16, 2010
- Blind daredevil to take on English Channel swim - May 01, 2012
- Cross-channel swimmer dies on maiden attempt - Jul 23, 2012
- I am a Malay, says Malaysian ex-PM with Indian roots - Mar 08, 2011
- National Games: Manipur boy helps Jharkhand win aquatics gold - Feb 16, 2011
- France's Quadruple Amputee Philippe Croizon Crosses English Channel - Sep 21, 2010
- Learning to swim 'could make kids smarter' - Nov 02, 2010
- Mahathir backs English teaching in Malaysia - Aug 11, 2010
- Over 50 England, Australian swimmers sick in Delhi (Lead) - Oct 07, 2010
- Disabled team pulls off 108-km river rafting journey - Nov 22, 2010