Magnitude-7.3 quake jolts Papua New GuineaDecember 14th, 2011 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Port Moresby, Dec 14 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 7.3 magnitude rocked eastern New Guinea region of Papua New Guinea Wednesday. There was no initial report of casualties or threat of tsunami.
The temblor, having its epicentre 89 km southwest of Lae of New Guinea and 221 km northwest of the national capital Port Moresby, had a depth of some 115 km, Xinhua reported.
According to the US Geological Survey, the earthquake occurred around 3.05 p.m. local time.
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea; no tsunami risk - Aug 21, 2010
- Magnitude 6.6 quake hits New Britain region, Papua New Guinea (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Two earthquakes rock Papua New Guinea - Jul 18, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes near Papua New Guinea's second-largest city - Apr 18, 2010
- 6.7-magnitude earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea - Mar 22, 2012
- Quake hits Papua New Guinea - Aug 21, 2011
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami - Nov 14, 2011
- 6.3 magnitude quake hits Papua New Guinea - Apr 18, 2010
- Strong 6.3-magnitude earthquakes strike Papua New Guinea - Jul 21, 2010
- Quake hits Papua New Guinea - Aug 05, 2010
- 6.6 quake hits Papua New Guinea (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Quake hits Afghanistan - Sep 18, 2010
- Magnitude-6.9 quake hits Solomon Islands - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: casualties, earthquake, epicentre, guinea region, initial report, lae, local time, magnitude, new guinea port, northwest, papua new guinea, papua new guinea port, papua new guinea port moresby, quake jolts, southwest, temblor, tsunami, us geological survey, xinhua