Magnitude 4.9 shakes South Indian OceanOctober 16th, 2008 - 1:36 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
There was an earthquake at South Indian Ocean with the magnitude of 4.9 on the Richter scale.
The earthquake occurred on Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 04:28:44 UTC (Coordinated Universal Time ) and Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 11:28:44 AM at epicenter local time as reported by the U.S. Geological Survey.
The epicenter is 1125 km (700 miles) ENE of Diego Garcia, Chagos Archipelago, 1170 km (730 miles) S of COLOMBO, Sri Lanka, 1260 km (780 miles) SE of MALE, Maldives with the depth of 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program and location 3.477°S, 81.799°E.
The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake was an undersea earthquake , with an epicentre off the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia. Bordering the Indian Ocean, which killed more than 225,000 people in eleven countries. Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, and Thailand were hardest hit.
- Tsunami watch in effect for India, other areas canceled after 7.5 quake in the Indian Ocean - Jun 13, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- An earthquake measuring 4.5 Richter scale in Papua and Indonesia - Oct 07, 2008
- An Earthquake in Indonesia - Oct 24, 2008
- Magnitude 5.3 shakes Mindoro, Philippines - Oct 14, 2008
- Strong earthquake strikes the South Indian Ocean, no threat to land - Mar 15, 2010
- All tsunami warnings lifted after powerful earthquake strikes the Indian Ocean - Jun 13, 2010
- Indonesia: Five killed, several injured in Wednesday's earthquakes - Apr 12, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Earthquake of 7.9 magnitude strikes Samoa Islands - Sep 30, 2009
- Quake hits Philippines - Oct 02, 2008
- 43 hurt as quake shakes Bali - Oct 13, 2011
- An earthquake in Papua and Indonesia - Oct 07, 2008
- Earthquake measuring 5.2 shakes Kepulauan Talaud, Indonesia - Sep 30, 2008
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012