Mafia clans use mobile texts to contact jailed mobsters through Italian TV showAugust 23rd, 2010 - 6:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 23 (ANI): Mafia clans have used a popular football show, Quelli Che il Calcio, on Italian television, to send secret messages to jailed godfathers held in isolation.
The popular football programme unwittingly scrolled mobile phone texts across screen among innocent messages of support for the teams.
According to The Guardian, a magistrate Enzo Macri tipped off after a letter advising a jailed boss to watch the show was intercepted, cited one of the texts, “Everything is OK - Paolo,” as being sent by a clan affiliate.
Few jailed mobsters have carefully supervised contacts with the outside world, the paper states.
Meanwhile, Carlo Vizzini, an Italian senator, has demanded an explanation from the authorities as to know why mafia inmates were allowed to watch Quelli Che il Calcio.
“I do not understand why people held under such conditions can watch programmes in which the TV audience can participate,” he said.
The programme’s presenter, Simona Ventura, claimed that the show’s producers was unaware of the ruse and promised to stop airing texts immediately.
“The show has always had universal appeal, from the young, to graduates, to the old, and now, I discover, mob bosses and their families too,” she said. (ANI)
- Italian mafia clans contact jailed mobsters via TV show - Aug 23, 2010
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Italian politicians held for trading votes with mafia - Dec 23, 2010
- Italian football still afloat despite lingering crisis - Aug 27, 2010
- Mafia boss wins right to use bathroom without being filmed - Mar 28, 2010
- Facebook accused of supporting convicted Italian mobsters - Jan 09, 2009
- Italian mafia 'pastry extortion ring' busted - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Italy arrests top mafia boss - Nov 18, 2010
- New `Che' comic inspired by his most famous portrait - Apr 18, 2012
- Berlusconi 'had sexual relations one at a time every 5 mins' - Jan 22, 2011
- Capturing Castro, Che and Cuba on lens - Dec 22, 2010
- Mafia mobsters luring wannabe gangsters through Facebook - Jun 29, 2009
- Scores of arrests deal blow to Sicilian mafia - Dec 14, 2010
- Fugitive mafia boss found hiding in box - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: calcio, enzo, enzo macri, godfathers, inmates, isolation, italian television, italian tv, mafia, magistrate, mob bosses, mobile texts, mobsters, paper states, ruse, secret messages, simona ventura, tv audience, universal appeal, vizzini