Mafia assets worth 47 mn euro seized in ItalyMay 20th, 2011 - 10:30 am ICT by IANS
Rome, May 20 (IANS/AKI) Police in southern Italian have seized assets worth 47 million euros from a local businessman who was reportedly backed by the mafia.
The assets seized in Reggio Calabria city from Salvatore Domenico Tassone, 63, includes companies, land, bank accounts and personal and company vehicles.
Tassone acquired the assets through backing from the mafia in tenders for public work contracts, including the upgrading of a highway, investigators said.
Tassone was in July 2009 sentenced to eight years in prison for association with the mafia. But, he appealed, and under Italy’s laws, sentences are not definitive until two levels of appeal have been exhausted.
He has also been linked with several local criminal families.
- Italian magistrate arrested in mafia crackdown - Nov 30, 2011
- Nearly 200 kg cocaine seized in Italy port - Sep 08, 2012
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Flat seized from Italian mafia to become kids' home - Sep 07, 2012
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- 15 bn euros of mafia wealth seized in Italy - Jun 12, 2012
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Italian politicians held for trading votes with mafia - Dec 23, 2010
- 16 Italian judges held in anti-mafia operation - Mar 20, 2012
- Troops to combat mafia in Italian city - Oct 07, 2010
- Italy seizes Gaddafi assets worth $1.4 bn - Mar 30, 2012
- Italian Police seize 'mafia assets' worth $1.9 bn - Sep 15, 2010
- Man held for attempted bomb attack on Italy president - Sep 21, 2010