Madrid Masters: Sania, Chia-Jung in 2nd round, Serena outMay 12th, 2009 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 12 (IANS) India’s Sania Mirza and Chinese Taipei’s (Taiwan) Chia-Jung Chuang stormed into the second round of the 3,500,000 euros Madrid Masters tennis with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Argentina’s Ma Emilia Salerni and Spain’s Silvia Soler Espinosa.
Sania-Chuang will take on second seeds Anabel Median Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual, who received a bye in the first round.
In the women’s singles, World No.2 Serena Williams pulled out of her first round match due to thigh and knee injuries, while trailing by a set 4-6 to Italian Francesca Schiavone.
The loss, Williams’ third consecutive one on clay, means she will head to the French Open, beginning May 24, without a win.
However, Williams’ 45 minutes struggle here saved her a $98,000 fine which WTA would have imposed had she failed to play the tournament.
“After the first set I did not want to risk anymore. I’m hoping to be ready for Roland Garros,” Williams said.
Eighth-seeded Russian Nadia Petrova rallied from behind to advance to the third round beating German Anna-Lena Groenefeld 4-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5).
France’s veteran Amelie Mauresmo sailed into the second round with 6-2, 6-4 win over Ai Sugiyama while Daniela Hantuchova staved off an initial challenge from Gisela Dulko to cruise to a 7-6 (9-7), 6-1 win.
In the men’s singles, French ninth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga dispatched World No. 1 Marat Safin 6-4, 7-5.
Simone Bolelli fought off a strong challenge from Juan Chela 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) to set up a second round meeting with British fourth seed Andy Murray.
Spain’s David Ferrer started off with an easy the second round over Argentine Guillermo Canas 6-2, 6-2 while Swiss Stan Wawrinka thrashed Italian Marco Crugnola 6-2, 6-0.
- Defending champion Federer cruises into round two of Australian Open - Jan 17, 2011
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Australian Open: Mirza and Vesnina advance to second round - Jan 19, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Kvitova survives scare to reach Wimbledon second round (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi, Paes-Black in US Open quarter-finals - Sep 06, 2010
- Indians bow out in first round of QNet women's championship - Mar 19, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic in second round - Aug 29, 2012
- Sania in mixed doubles third round, women's doubles semis (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- French Open: Sania-Bhupathi in final, Paes-Vesnina knocked out (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- US Open: Radwanska, Kerber, Venus ease into second round (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: ai sugiyama, andy murray, anna lena groenefeld, chia jung chuang, chinese taipei, daniela hantuchova, david ferrer, francesca schiavone, gisela dulko, guillermo canas, initial challenge, jo wilfried tsonga, juan chela, madrid masters tennis, marat safin, nadia petrova, roland garros, sania mirza, simone bolelli, virginia ruano pascual