Madonna gets court nod to adopt Malawian kidJune 13th, 2009 - 12:36 am ICT by IANS
London, June 12 (IANS) Pop diva Madonna has been permitted to adopt Malawian kid Mercy James, with the country’s high court praising her efforts to improve the lives of local children.
The 50-year-old was devastated in March when her bid to add Mercy to her growing brood was rejected on the grounds that prospective parents have to be resident in the country for 18 to 24 months prior to an adoption, reports thesun.co.uk..
She has now been given the go-ahead to legally adopt the the four-year-old after the ruling was overturned.
Chief Justice Lovemore Munlo told the court the star’s commitment to the children of Malawi should be recognised.
The singer has two biological children Lourdes, 12, and Rocco, eight and Malawian-born adopted kid David Banda.
- Madonna on Mercy flight to collect Malawi Orphan Chifundo - Jun 21, 2009
- Madonna pays $19 million to adopt Malawi orphan Mercy James - Jun 14, 2009
- Madonna planning baby with Jesus - Jan 20, 2010
- Madonna arrives in Malawi to lay foundation for girls school - Oct 26, 2009
- Madonna takes adopted daughter Mercy to Kabbalah meeting - Jul 06, 2009
- Madonna flies in nanny, nurse for Mercy James - Jun 15, 2009
- Madonna takes David, Mercy to Malawi - Apr 06, 2010
- Madonna appeals adoption case in Malawi - May 04, 2009
- Madonna's adopted daughter Mercy to meet real family - Mar 30, 2010
- Madonna's kids dislike her music - Apr 02, 2012
- Sibling rivalry between Madonna's kids! - Jun 12, 2012
- Adopted son David Banda is Madonna's biggest fan - Dec 09, 2009
- Madonna's Malawian daughter forgets native language - Oct 28, 2009
- 'Tearful' Mercy James pleads for 'her mum Madonna' - Apr 06, 2009
- Madonna plans to move back to Britain - Oct 11, 2010