Lucerne Valley Car Crash Kills Eight, Injures 17August 16th, 2010 - 6:39 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Aug 16, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A weekend off-road race in southern California’s Mojave Desert, near the Lucerne Valley turned out deadly when a contestant lost control of his pick-up truck and landed straight in midst of the spectators killing eight and injuring almost double the number. The accident took place at around 7:40 p.m. on Saturday (0240 GMT Sunday) during the California 200 event that is held in Soggy Dry Lake Bed.
Joaquin Zubieta, the spokesman of the California Highway Patrol said that six of the seventeen injured persons are in critical condition and have been shifted to medical centers. He also added that seven of the eight people killed in the accident have been identified by the police department. The San Bernardino County coroner on Sunday released the names of the seven of identified persons who have lost their life in the accident. A Las Vegas woman and three men from San Diego have lost their life.
The crash reportedly occurred when the driver of the pick-up truck identified as 28-year-old Brett Sloppy lost control of his vehicle during a jump. He was driving at a speed of 40 to 50 miles per hour when the accident occurred. Joaquin Zubieta has mentioned that Brett Sloppy got airborne and when he landed his car rolled over straight into the spectators who were caught off-guard and did not get much time to get out of the way of the car. The California Highway Patrol spokesman said that Brett Sloppy was not driving under the influence of alcohol and has not been charged in the crash. Reports claimed that the spectators had moved close to the race track out of excitement during the race.
- Desert Race Accident Kills 8, Worst Seen Since Darren J Bullock - Aug 17, 2010
- Eight killed at US off-road race - Aug 15, 2010
- CHP Initiates Probe In Redlands Truck Crash Case - May 07, 2010
- Five Indian techies die in car accident in US - Aug 11, 2012
- Five Indian techies from Hyderabad die in US car crash (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Two People Killed, Dozens Injured In Missouri School Bus Crash - Aug 06, 2010
- Off-Road Racer Nathan Woods Dies After Injuring Himself During Practice Session - Jan 29, 2011
- Ban cell phone use while driving: US safety panel - Dec 14, 2011
- Dakar Rally gets underway in South America - Jan 02, 2010
- Abducted California 9-month old baby safely recovered - Jan 15, 2010
- California Highway Patrol issues alert for abducted 9-month old Julius Suarez - Jan 15, 2010
- Amber Alert issued for 8-year-old Eliza Cardenaz abducted in Fresno, CA - Oct 05, 2010
- Three killed in California crash (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- High-speed crash kills three bikers in UP - Jul 18, 2012
- Three killed, four hurt in road accident - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: california highway patrol, car crash, critical condition, dey, driving under the influence, driving under the influence of alcohol, excitement, lucerne valley, medical centers, midst, miles per hour, mojave desert, pick up truck, police department, san bernardino county, san bernardino county coroner, southern california, spectators, spokesman said that, three men