LTTE defeated, Sri Lanka free from terror: army chiefMay 18th, 2009 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 18 (IANS) Sri Lankan armed forces have “militarily defeated the LTTE and freed the nation from three decades of terror”, army chief Lt Gen Sarath Fonseka said Monday after Tamil Tigers leader Velupillai Prabhakaran was killed in the island’s north.
All top leaders had now been killed and the process of identifying the bodies was underway, the Sri Lankan military announced.
Prabhakaran was killed while trying to escape the battlezone in the island’s north along with two of his top aides.
Prabhakaran, 54, was in a convoy of a van and an ambulance with Pottu Amman, head of the intelligence wing of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), and Sea Tigers chief Soosai when the military opened fire in an isolated strip of Mullaitivu district.
Prabhakaran’s death comes shortly after soldiers stumbled upon the bodies of several key LTTE leaders, including his son Charles Anthony, who headed the group’s IT wing and was being groomed to take over his father’s mantle.
- Prabhakaran, top aides killed in Sri Lanka's war zone (Second Lead) - May 18, 2009
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran is dead (Lead) - May 18, 2009
- Prabhakaran alive, claims pro-LTTE website - May 19, 2009
- Sri Lanka's 26-year war ends as LTTE leader Prabhakaran killed (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- Death blow for LTTE as Prabhakaran, aides killed in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012
- Celebrations in Sri Lanka as news of Prabhakaran's death spreads - May 18, 2009
- Ahead of elections, pro-LTTE journal attacks Karunanidhi - Apr 11, 2011
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- Sri Lankan president announces end of civil war, Prabhakaran's body found (Third Lead) - May 19, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Prabhakaran's body found, Rajapaksa says LTTE vanquished (Roundup) - May 19, 2009
- Sri Lanka declares end of war against LTTE after killing Prabhakaran - May 18, 2009
- Is LTTEs Prabhakaran dead or not? - May 19, 2009
- LTTE intelligence chief's hideout captured: Sri Lanka - Mar 25, 2009
Tags: ambulance, armed forces, army chief, battlezone, convoy, intelligence wing, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, lt, ltte leaders, mantle, mullaitivu district, sarath fonseka, sea tigers, soosai, sri lankan military, tamil tigers, three decades, top aides, velupillai prabhakaran