LTTE chief Prabhakaran is dead (Lead)May 18th, 2009 - 3:33 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 18 (IANS) Velupillai Prabhakaran, the elusive leader of Sri Lanka’s feared Tamil Tigers, was killed Monday while trying to escape the war zone in the island’s north, military sources said.
Prabhakaran, 54, was in a convoy of a van and an ambulance with some of his trusted aides when the military opened fire in an isolated strip of Mullaitivu district, a military official said.
There were unconfirmed reports that Pottu Amman, head of the LTTE’s intelligence wing, had also been killed.
Prabhakaran’s death comes shortly after soldiers stumbled upon the bodies of several key LTTE leaders, including his son Charles Anthony, who headed the group’s IT wing and was being groomed to take over his father’s mantle.
- LTTE defeated, Sri Lanka free from terror: army chief - May 18, 2009
- Prabhakaran, top aides killed in Sri Lanka's war zone (Second Lead) - May 18, 2009
- Celebrations in Sri Lanka as news of Prabhakaran's death spreads - May 18, 2009
- Sri Lanka's 26-year war ends as LTTE leader Prabhakaran killed (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- Death blow for LTTE as Prabhakaran, aides killed in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- Prabhakaran's body found, Rajapaksa says LTTE vanquished (Roundup) - May 19, 2009
- Bodies of Prabhakaran's son, six LTTE leaders found (Third Lead) - May 18, 2009
- Prabhakaran alive, claims pro-LTTE website - May 19, 2009
- LTTE intelligence chief's hideout captured: Sri Lanka - Mar 25, 2009
- Sri Lankan President to address nation at 6 pm - May 18, 2009
- Sri Lanka declares end of war against LTTE after killing Prabhakaran - May 18, 2009
- Don't ignore Tamil cry for self-government, Solheim tells Sri Lanka (Interview) - May 19, 2009
- LTTE intelligence chief leading final battle: report - Mar 01, 2009
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- Is LTTEs Prabhakaran dead or not? - May 19, 2009