LTTE chief Prabhakaran dead, claims Lankan armyMay 17th, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 17 (ANI): Sources in the Sri Lankan army have claimed that Liberation Tiger of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) chief V Prabhakaran has been killed.
According to a news channel report, Prabhakaran body has been recovered and is being taken to an army camp in Colombo.
Sources also added that army has recovered over 150 bodies of LTTE cadres.
According to reports all civilians held hostage by the LTTE have now been freed from the battle zone.
The report comes as Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa announced his military’s victory over the LTTE.
“I am proud to announce… that my government with the total commitment of our armed forces, has in an unprecedented humanitarian operation, finally defeated the LTTE militarily,” he said.
Moreover, 70 rebels were killed in a confrontation with troops early Sunday morning.
Troops confronted the LTTE fighters, who tried to escape from the Nandikadal lagoon in the north east part of the country, killing 70 Tiger rebels.
Six LTTE boats were also destroyed in the operation and the bodies of those killed were subsequently found.
As many as 24,988 Tamil civilians have crossed over from the LTTE areas to the governments controlled ones since May 14 and are camping in welfare camps, the Army said. (ANI)
- President Rajapaksa returns to Colombo, two top LTTE leaders killed - May 17, 2009
- International Tamil rebel network still active: Sri Lanka - Jun 21, 2010
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka welcomes foreign aid - May 19, 2012
- Sri Lanka airs video of body claimed to be dead LTTE commander Prabhakaran - May 19, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Rebel attack foiled, president returns claiming victory - May 17, 2009
- Don't attend Sri Lanka military conference: rights body - May 24, 2011
- Tamil rebels say they are silencing their guns (Third Lead) - May 17, 2009
- Tamil Tigers' attack foiled, president claims victory (Lead) - May 17, 2009
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran to be buried in a mass grave - May 21, 2009
- 'Appeasing Tamil flood victims best chance for Sri Lanka to improve maligned image' - Jan 15, 2011
- War with LTTE rapidly nearing its end: Rajapaksa (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Sri Lankan president announces end of civil war, Prabhakaran's body found (Third Lead) - May 19, 2009
Tags: 988, army camp, battle zone, cadres, confrontation, hostage, humanitarian operation, lagoon, liberation tiger, ltte boats, ltte fighters, mahinda rajapaksa, morning troops, president mahinda rajapaksa, rebels, sri lankan army, sri lankan president, tamil civilians, tamil eelam, total commitment