LTTE attack thwarted, five cadres killed: Sri Lankan militaryMarch 23rd, 2009 - 1:24 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, March 23 (IANS) The Sri Lankan Navy has killed five LTTE cadres, who were dressed as civilians fleeing the war zone and were planning to attack security forces, the defence ministry said Monday.
It said the incident took place Sunday morning off Chundikulam in the north when an inshore naval patrol craft spotted four dinghies carrying civilians fleeing from the Tamil Tigers-held areas. The naval vessel approached to help them.
“When the naval personnel had approached them as usual for their (civilian) rescue, they found one dinghy with only five men on board suspicious. As they were about act on their suspicion, the persons on board the suspicious boat started firing at the navy,” the defence ministry report said.
The navy personnel in retaliatory fire killed all five Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) suicide cadres on board the dinghy. The dead bodies of the rebels along with fire-arms were found in a subsequent search.
“(The) Navy believes that the LTTE’s intention here was to mix with troops on land on the sly and inflict a huge devastation on them,” the defence ministry said, adding 54 innocent civilians who were on board the other three dinghies were rescued by navy and safely brought ashore at Point Pedro and Vettilaikerni in the north.
The military here said that the LTTE has now been boxed into a mere 28 square km land area in the Mullaitivu district, facing a multi-pronged military onslaught.
It said that the number of civilians fleeing the rebel-held areas defying LTTE orders was on the rise and over 47,000 internally displaced people have entered the government-held areas since the beginning of 2009.
These displaced people are being temporarily housed in welfare centres and villages in the northern Vavuniya district.
- LTTE cornered to 28 sq km area: Sri Lankan military - Mar 18, 2009
- 45 killed as Sri Lankan military battles LTTE (Lead) - Mar 30, 2009
- 27 killed in sea clash with LTTE: Sri Lankan military - Mar 30, 2009
- Senior Sea Tiger leader killed in heavy fighting - Mar 21, 2009
- Five farmers killed in LTTE attack - Mar 25, 2009
- LTTE sea-borne attack foiled, 18 rebels killed: Sri Lanka - Apr 04, 2009
- 31 Tamil Tigers killed, LTTE positions smashed: Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2009
- Troops kill 29 Tigers in Sri Lanka - Mar 27, 2009
- Tamil Tigers on last leg declare truce, Sri lanka wants surrender (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2009
- Navy sinks two LTTE boats, kills six cadres: Sri Lanka - Feb 08, 2009
- 52,000 flee rebel-held area as LTTE ignores surrender deadline (Fourth Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Coast Guard inducts inshore patrol ship - Aug 29, 2012
- 49 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 09, 2009
- LTTE faces annihilation, leadership hiding, says Sri Lanka - Apr 05, 2009
- Sri Lankan troops foil LTTE infiltration bid - Mar 05, 2009
Tags: defence ministry report, dinghies, fire arms, innocent civilians, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte cadres, military onslaught, mullaitivu district, naval personnel, naval vessel, patrol craft, point pedro, retaliatory fire, sri lankan military, sri lankan navy, suicide cadres, tamil tigers, vavuniya district, welfare centres