LTTE asked to surrender by Tuesday noonApril 20th, 2009 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, April 20 (IANS) Closing in on the last Tamil Tiger base, Sri Lanka Monday ordered rebel chief Velupillai Prabhakaran and his fighters to surrender by Tuesday noon or face death.
“We have issued the last and final 24-hour ultimatum to Prabhakaran and his group to surrender,” defence ministry spokesman Keheliya Rambukwella told reporters Monday.
“The ultimatum began this noon (Monday and) will expire tomorrow noon. Otherwise they will have to face the military course of action,” he said.
The ultimatum to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) came after about 30,000 civilians fled Sri Lanka’s northern war zone as troops moved deep into the last Tamil Tiger stronghold in Mullaitivu district.
- LTTE fails to meet Sri Lanka's ultimatum to surrender (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Sri Lanka asks Prabhakaran to surrender by Tuesday noon (Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Over 49,000 flee LTTE-held area as deadline to surrender ends (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- 52,000 flee rebel-held area as LTTE ignores surrender deadline (Fourth Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- International Tamil rebel network still active: Sri Lanka - Jun 21, 2010
- LTTE chief in shrunken war zone as 95,000 civilians flee (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2009
- A year later, few in Sri Lanka mourn Prabhakaran - May 17, 2010
- Colombo to fight poverty with military's help - Dec 22, 2011
- Sri Lanka refuses entry to Indian politicians - Feb 22, 2011
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka to free 1,200 former rebels - Sep 19, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Sri Lanka slams UN panel to probe war crimes - Jun 23, 2010
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, over 100,000 flee war zone (Intro Roundup) - Apr 22, 2009
Tags: 24 hour, civilians, defence ministry spokesman, face death, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, military course, northern war, sri lanka, stronghold, tamil tiger, tiger, tomorrow noon, ultimatum, velupillai prabhakaran, war zone