Lost Charlotte Bronte story published for the first timeFebruary 29th, 2012 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 29 (IANS) A long-lost short story written by Charlotte Bronte for a married man with whom she had fallen in love was Wednesday published online for the first time and comes out in print Thursday.
The manuscript — composed in French and titled “L’Ingratitude” — was found in a Belgian museum, the Musee Royal de Mariemont, by Brussels-based architect Brian Bracken, the Daily Mail reported.
Bronte reportedly wrote the story as homework for a Belgian tutor, who taught her and sister Emily French literature, when they were 25 and 23, respectively, at a boarding house in Brussels.
The tutor, Constantin Heger, is also thought to have been the inspiration behind her novel “Villette”.
Bracken said the unpublished short story was last heard of in 1913, when it was given to a wealthy collector by Heger’s son Paul.
“It was finished a month after Charlotte arrived in Brussels and is the first known devoir (piece of homework) of thirty the sisters would write for Heger,” Bracken wrote in the London Review of Books (LRB).
The story was published on the LRB website Wednesday and will appear in a print edition Thursday.
The tale — dated March 16, 1842 — is about a young rat who runs away from his father in search of adventure and comes to an unhappy end.
It contrasts the selfish behaviour of the “ingrate” son with the devotion of his loving parent.
- Charlotte Bronte's love letters to Belgian professor found - Jan 27, 2012
- Bronte's science fiction on display at the British Library sci-fi exhibition - Jun 11, 2011
- Belgium to host major Indian business meet - Nov 02, 2011
- Brussels confirms anti-trust complaints about Google - Feb 24, 2010
- Tony Danza releases his book about teaching Public School for a year - Sep 11, 2012
- Belgium begins troop withdrawal from Afghanistan - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Wuthering Heights' radio version to have f-word - Mar 22, 2011
- Belgium urges citizens to leave Syria - Jul 22, 2012
- Franco to play real-life stalker in directing debut - Jan 17, 2011
- Charlotte Brontes doll-house to go under the hammer - Dec 11, 2008
- Rare Napoleon letter sold for $400,000 - Jun 12, 2012
- Eliot Spitzer was suicidal, reveals close confidant in new tell-all - Mar 05, 2010
- Bhatt to shoot 'Blood Money' in Belgian city this month - Aug 07, 2011
- Lord of The Rings loses No.1 spot in 'Top 100 books' list - Sep 08, 2010
- Italy to host India business meeting in June - May 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,