Los Angeles bids to become first US solar cityNovember 26th, 2008 - 6:28 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Nov 26 (DPA) Los Angeles plans to become the first solar city in the US by generating 10 percent of its electricity through solar power, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.The ambitious plan would create the largest solar base of any city in the world, according to solar energy experts.
Under the plan proposed by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa the sprawling city would purchase 1,280 megawatts of solar power - about 500 megawatts would come from private generating plants in the Mojave Desert, a further 380 megawatts would come from a programme to encourage residents to put solar panels on their roofs, while another 400 megawatts would come from panels on city-owned buildings.
“Our solar initiative is the largest of any kind anywhere in the world. When it takes full effect, LA will have 1,280 megawatts more capacity - more than exists in the entire United States today,” he said.
The plan, called Solar LA, is expected to cost each Los Angeles resident an extra $2 a month once it is completed.
“LA has everything it takes to make this work,” Villaraigosa said. “We have the sun in abundancy. We have the space. We have the largest municipal utility in the country.”
“Nobody’s contemplated that many megawatts for one city,” said Rhonda Mills, Southern California director of the Centre for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Technologies and a solar power advocate.
The mayor is also trying to use redevelopment funds to entice clean technology companies into the city and investing city pension money in environmentally responsible companies in a bid to make Los Angeles a player in the solar energy industry.
Voters will decide on part of the plan when they go to the polls for local elections on March 3. They will vote on a proposal that would allow the Department of Public Works to install and own more than 400 megawatts of solar panels throughout the city.
- Porn industry may quit Hollywood over new law - Jan 19, 2012
- Tibet to have solar power generation base - Apr 17, 2012
- Los Angeles wants to promote clean technology with India - Nov 17, 2011
- 'Occupy LA' protestors defy order to evacuate by Sunday midnight - Nov 28, 2011
- Himachal developing solar-powered cities - Aug 20, 2011
- Agartala to be Northeast India's first solar city - Sep 12, 2012
- Reliance Power to buy equipment from First Solar - Sep 07, 2011
- India to lead solar energy drive in Asia-Pacific region: ADB - Jan 17, 2011
- India to have 2 GW solar power capacity by 2013 - Nov 09, 2011
- Porn stars to wear condoms in LA - Jan 26, 2012
- Azure Power plans Rs.150 crore solar plant in Meghalaya - Feb 12, 2011
- Iran opens combined cycle power plant; first to use gas and solar energy - May 17, 2011
- Belgian solar tunnel to power high speed rail running from Paris to Amsterdam - Jun 09, 2011
- Cuba seeks to boost alternative energy production - Jun 11, 2012
- Energy sector deals worth Rs.7.38 lakh crore at Gujarat summit - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: california director, generating plants, los angeles times, mayor antonio villaraigosa, mojave desert, redevelopment funds, solar city, solar energy experts, solar energy industry, solar initiative