Long-extinct Neanderthals speak outApril 16th, 2008 - 3:14 pm ICT by admin
London, April 16 (ANI): Theyve been dead for 30,000 years, but people may soon be able to hear Neanderthals speak, thanks to a computer model developed by researchers at the Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton.
Using 50,000-year old fossils from France, Robert McCarthy, an anthropologist at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton reconstructed Neanderthal vocal tracts to imitate the voice.
He said that Neanderthals speech lacked the quantal vowel sounds, which are the basis of modern speech.
While making a presentation at the annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists in Columbus, Ohio, on April 11, he said that the quantal vowels offer cues that help people with different size vocal tracts understand one another.
“They would have spoken a bit differently. They wouldn’t have been able to produce these quantal vowels that form the basis of spoken language,” New Scientist quoted him, as saying.
By modelling the sounds the Neanderthal pipes would have made, researchers engineered the sound of a Neanderthal saying E.
As compared to a modern human E, the Neanderthal version doesn’t have a quantal hallmark, which helps a listener distinguish between words, for example beat from bit.
McCarthy plans to eventually imitate an entire Neanderthal sentence. (ANI)
- McCarthy to strip for Playboy again - May 19, 2012
- Jason and Jenny dating - Aug 18, 2010
- Jenny McCarthy loves Botox - Apr 28, 2012
- McCarthy's son misses Carrey - Jun 07, 2012
- Jason Toohey Dating Jenny McCarthy - Oct 18, 2010
- It's easier to understand others if you imitate their accents - Dec 07, 2010
- Why some mental disorders are more prevalent in males - Nov 18, 2010
- Howard Jacobson wins Man Booker Prize (Lead) - Oct 13, 2010
- Jenny McCarthy to replace Oprah? - Jun 14, 2010
- West Ham dump flop Proteas star McCarthy - Apr 13, 2011
- Musical chords mimic the emotion of speech - Dec 15, 2009
- Music and human speech are biologically linked - Dec 03, 2009
- Jolie to join 'The Counsellor' cast? - Apr 11, 2012
- Jim Carey teaches acting to girlfriend's son - Dec 08, 2009
- Kate Major enters rehab - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: american association of physical anthropologists, annual meeting, anthropologist, boca raton, columbus ohio, computer model, cues, florida atlantic university, fossils, hallmark, listener, neanderthals, new scientist, pipes, robert mccarthy, spoken language, theyve, tracts, vowel sounds, vowels