London candlelight vigil for MumbaiDecember 2nd, 2008 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 2 (IANS) Hundreds of sympathisers are expected to gather in central London for a candlelight vigil Wednesday in solidarity with the victims of the terrorist attack in Mumbai, organisers said.”At this time, our hearts and minds are with the people of Mumbai. The international community puts aside its own woes, caused by the current global financial crisis and stands behind Mumbai and the victims of this tragedy,” said Arup Ganguly, president of organisers Sewa Volunteers.
“If like us, you’ve felt helpless whilst the TV beamed the horrific images into our homes and offices, we hope that by coming together on Wednesday evening we can show our support for those most affected,” he added.
In a symbolic twinning with India’s financial capital, the vigil is to be held at Canary Wharf, part of London’s financial district.
The hour-long vigil will end with a round of applause “showing our solidarity with Mumbai”.
The crowd will not be deterred by London’s cold and wet weather: “a few sprinkles of water will not stop us,” said Ganguly.
- 'Attack on Mumbai is attack on London' - Dec 04, 2008
- Candlelight vigils mark one month of Japan quake (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Interfaith vigils across US for gurdwara victims - Aug 09, 2012
- Pune pays tribute to German Bakery blast victims (Lead) - Feb 13, 2011
- Nepal to mourn Mumbai, Norway attack victims - Aug 03, 2011
- Procession, candle-light vigil against Neeraj Grover judgement (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Tibetans in-exile pay homage to victims of China earthquake - May 19, 2010
- Candlelight marches in Hyderabad to support Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- Britain steps up security, fearing Mumbai-like attack - Nov 27, 2010
- Sikh Americans show solidarity after gurdwara tragedy - Aug 07, 2012
- Tibetans held candlelight vigil in memory of earth quake victims - Apr 25, 2010
- SAS officers warn Britain is unprepared for a Mumbai-style attack - Oct 03, 2010
- India's biggest women's grassroots chain connects to Africa - Jul 09, 2012
- 19 years on, water woes continue to haunt Taj city - May 21, 2012
- Greenpeace to observe a month of Japanese tsunami - Apr 11, 2011