Lockerbie bomber’s family to sue BritainDecember 3rd, 2010 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 3 (IANS) Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has claimed that the family of released Lockerbie bomber is preparing to sue Britain for false imprisonment and medical neglect, it was reported here Friday.
Gaddafi said Thursday Abdulbaset al Megrahi remained “very ill” with prostate cancer following his controversial release by the Scottish government on compassionate grounds in August last year, and blamed his poor health on intentional “neglect” he suffered in prison, the Telegraph reported.
Megrahi’s family will mount a compensation claim once the 58-year-old dies, Gaddafi said.
“After he passes away, his family will demand compensation because he was deliberately neglected in prison,” he said.
“His health was not looked after in prison, and he didn’t have any periodic examinations. I wish him a long life. He was released because he was considered dead, and yet he was still alive.”
Gaddafi made the claims during a speech to students and staff at the London School of Economics (LSE) via a live video-link, which is understood to have been organised through his son Saif Al-Gaddafi who has a doctorate from the university.
The compensation claim could run into several million pounds, according to Libyan diplomatic officials who attended the talk.
The Scottish government released Megrahi, who is the only person to be convicted for the Lockerbie tragedy in which 270 people died, on compassionate grounds after medical experts said he had only three months to live.
The Libyan dictator alleged that the case against the former intelligence agent had “been fabricated and created by” former British prime minister Baroness Thatcher and former US president Ronald Reagan.
He even suggested that CIA agents had been behind the 1988 terrorist atrocity, in which 270 people were killed after a Pan Am airline blew up over Scotland.
“These are the people who created this conspiracy,” said Gaddafi, referring to Thatcher’s and Reagan’s alleged role in a Megrahi’s murder conviction and life sentence over the attack.
The longevity of Megrahi has provoked anger from victims’ families and US doctors. The father-of-five is now living with his family in Tripoli, the capital of Libya.
- Lockerbie bomber's family to sue Scotland over 'medical neglect' in jail: Gaddafi - Dec 03, 2010
- 1988 Lockerbie bomber al-Megrahi dies in Tripoli - May 20, 2012
- Britain secretly advised Libyan govt. on how to secure Lockerbie bomber's release: Wikileaks - Feb 01, 2011
- 'Lockerbie bomber close to dying' - Dec 09, 2010
- Colonel Gaddafi personally ordered Lockerbie bombing: Ex- Justice Minister - Feb 24, 2011
- Lockerbie bomber who killed 270 is dead - May 20, 2012
- U.S. presidential candidate Romney calls on Libyan rebels to extradite Lockerbie bomber - Aug 23, 2011
- Libyan Justice Minister Al-Jleil says Gaddafi ordered Lockerbie bombing - Feb 23, 2011
- Lockerbie bomber found at mother's house - Aug 29, 2011
- Scottish officials skeptical about Lockerbie Bomber being close to death - Dec 10, 2010
- Lockerbie bomber's cancer at very advanced stage, says Gaddafi's son - May 26, 2010
- Britain told US not to intervene in Lockerbie bomber release: Wikileaks - Apr 11, 2011
- Lockerbie bomber is alive - nine months after being freed - May 20, 2010
- Secretary Clinton expresses regret one year after Lockerbie release - Aug 21, 2010
- Britain advised Libya on Lockerbie bomber's release: WikiLeaks - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: al gaddafi, baroness thatcher, britain london, british prime minister, cia agents, compassionate grounds, false imprisonment, former intelligence, intelligence agent, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, lockerbie tragedy, london school of economics, medical neglect, muammar gaddafi, pan am airline, periodic examinations, president ronald reagan, ronald reagan, scottish government