Lockerbie bomber who killed 270 is deadMay 20th, 2012 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 20 (IANS) Abdelbeset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, the lone person convicted in the bombing of a US plane over Scotland’s Lockerbie that killed 270 people, died Sunday, CNN reported quoting Libyan government officials.
Al Megrahi - a former intelligence officer who had suffered from prostate cancer - was 60.
He will be buried Monday, a foreign ministry spokesman told CNN.
Al Megrahi’s cousin Omer al-Gharyani told CNN he was with al Megrahi at the Tripoli hospital when he died.
His death came more than two years after he was freed from a life sentence in Scotland on the grounds that he was dying.
The destruction of the Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie in 1988 was one of the deadliest acts of terrorism against Americans.
American and British investigators who pieced together the wreckage of the Pan Am 103 found it had been destroyed by a bomb, and they accused al Megrahi and another man of planting it.
Al Megrahi - once the security chief for Libyan Arab Airlines - and Al Amin Khalifa Fhimah were Libyan intelligence agents, according to the US and Britain, which indicted the two in November 1991 on 270 counts of murder and conspiracy to murder.
He was released from a Scottish prison on the grounds that he was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer in August 2009 and was expected to have only a few months to live.
He was sent home to Libya on “compassionate” grounds, and received a hero’s welcome at the airport.
His release - a little more than eight years after being sentenced to life in prison - and the celebrations that greeted him in Libya sparked condemnation from the US and British governments and the families of the victims.
- 1988 Lockerbie bomber al-Megrahi dies in Tripoli - May 20, 2012
- Secretary Clinton expresses regret one year after Lockerbie release - Aug 21, 2010
- U.S. presidential candidate Romney calls on Libyan rebels to extradite Lockerbie bomber - Aug 23, 2011
- Gaddafi must face Lockerbie trial, says acquitted man - Aug 28, 2011
- Scottish officials skeptical about Lockerbie Bomber being close to death - Dec 10, 2010
- Lockerbie bomber found at mother's house - Aug 29, 2011
- Lockerbie bomber's family to sue Scotland over 'medical neglect' in jail: Gaddafi - Dec 03, 2010
- Lockerbie bomber played pivotal role in stockpiling chemical weapons in Libya - Nov 29, 2009
- Lockerbie bomber's family to sue Britain - Dec 03, 2010
- Cancer Specialist Says Lockerbie Bomber Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi Might Continue To Live For A Decade - Jul 06, 2010
- Libya to celebrate anniversary of Lockerbie bomber's release - Aug 16, 2010
- My opinion misinterpreted: Lockerbie bomber's doctor - Aug 15, 2010
- Britain told US not to intervene in Lockerbie bomber release: Wikileaks - Apr 11, 2011
- Lockerbie bomber says jail killed me a million times in UK - Aug 23, 2010
- 'UK pressurised Scotland to release Lockerbie bomber over oil deal between BP-Libya' - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: acts of terrorism, al amin, british governments, british investigators, cnn, compassionate grounds, foreign ministry spokesman, former intelligence, intelligence agents, intelligence officer, khalifa, libyan arab airlines, libyan government, lockerbie, lone person, mohmed, pan am 103, pan am flight 103, prostate cancer, security chief